Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeC

Yak fishing Point Lookout 9/8/01

5 posts in this topic

I took the yak to Point Lookout on Sat. Hit the water at about 4:30 PM and fished until 8:00 PM. Launched from the boat ramp at Point Lookout State park and paddled out into the Potomac River. It was very windy, I'm guessing about 15 mph. and there was a nice chop out in the river and it was even worse in the bay. I paddled head on into the wind and waves for about an hour. I'm guessing I only made it out about a mile in that time. Almost tipped the yak a few times when I would get caught broadside by the waves. I was looking for breaking fish or birds and didn't find either. Decided to head back to some protected water behind Point Lookout. I put out a silver hopkins spoon and trolled back in. I have never gone so fast in my life on the yak before. I was catching the waves and wind on my way back. I caught a spanish mac while trolling on the way in. It was about a 3 or 4 lb. fish. Never thought I would be going fast enough to catch a spanish trolling on a yak. Got to the little inlet going to the boat launch at Point Lookout and saw spanish chasing bait. Threw the hopkins over into the mayhem and instantly hooked up with another spanish. This one went about 5 lbs. That was it no more bites, fished that area for about an hour and called it quits. Paddled around some of the protected marshes until it got dark and headed in. It was a fun evening, and a little scary out in the open water.

MikeC - I'd like to catch some Spaniards.

Going fast down wind reminds me of something I read in the kayak book. A suggestion was made to carry an umbrella so when traveling in the direction of the wind it can do the work. It would have been a neat way to troll.

That brings up an important point. Its a good idea when its windy to start off heading into the wind. This way you can always get back. It would be dangerous to paddle down wind and then be to far to get back especially on a large body of water like a big bay or worse the ocean. Always use common sense and when it doubt its better not to especially if you're alone.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 09-10-2001).]

I've seen a friend of mine use "golfing" umbrellas to great effect as a sail (62" diameter). Many are rated as 60 MPH and if it gets to crazy you can let go (they're pretty inexpensive).

Good point about starting in the wind so you don't get stuck trying to get back upwind.

stay safe

Hey MikeC, finally another yakfisher from this end of the Striper coast. Completely cool for you to get a spanish while trolling!

Would love to get together and fish Point Lookout with you sometime soon. I'm in Baltimore and paddle all parts of the bay from the headwaters down to the lower parts of VA.

Have you considered going up to Glenn Island, NY with the fling folks? I'm heading up with Mullet Miller from DE.

Chris

Porter, I'm definatly up for getting together some time and yak fishing. I'm just getting into this thing, so I'd really like to go out with someone who could teach me a few things. I thought about the yak fling in NJ, but one of my best friends is getting married in Philly this weekend, so that will not work for me. E-mail me at mdc@datatel.com and we can plan a trip sometime.

Mike