Black Rock

Fished Black Rock Harbor late this afternoon. Still a bit of a breeze but not bad and seas were small. Big bunker still there with blues under them. Not much on the surface, seemed a little spread out. I picked up one 3-4 lber. A friend I saw said they were feeding big time sat nite, 10-15 landed, some high teens he thinks that he missed while they shredded his bunker up alongside. Jim

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Yeah Joe, it was fine for yakking, Maybe 10 k wind but no where near the seas like the day you ran me down out there. Wind just enough to set up a good drift across the harbor. My friend Jason said Sat night was just a frenzy, he had 2 rods out for a while with chunks and had to put one up, action was that steady.

Jim

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Fished the harbor today (monday), and, as a fly fisherman, was pleased to find lots of peanut bunker still around. Caught lots of small stripers on small bunker flies, surface and subsurface. A few bruiser stripers came in and gorged, just when my fly-line got tangled, and by the time I got it straightened they were gone! One came clear out of the water, porpoising up through a huge school of peanuts. Probably 15-20 pounder. Huge blitz commenced at lighthouse and I sprinted over there (was supposed to pick up wife and one child at 4:30 and it was nearing 4:00). Hooked up with huge blue while trolling fly. Fought him for 10 minutes and at the boat he cut the 10lb line I was using for stripers. I'd estimate him at well over 15. Landed another 6lber on the way back. Things were really heating up when I finally left, late, sore shoulders in deep with wife, but happy.

Great Arnie,

Glad you got into them, it was clear there was lot's of bait and fish Sunday. When are you going back, like to hook up with you.

Jim

Next possible time might be Thursday at some point (maybe afternoon?), or Wednesday after everyone's asleep, though it's cold cold cold out there on the water after the sun sets, and I don't have lights on my Yak, though should probably get something rigged up. I've seen so little small bait this late summer/fall, I definitely want to get back there before it all goes away.

Arnie, getting in deep with the wife so may have to bank some points to keep the weekend.

Would like to know if you go, just in case.

Jim