Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maltman

Shoes for warm weather yakking

10 posts in this topic

Have a question I'm hoping you guys can help with.....I'm trying to figure out what kind of boots/shoes/wetshoes to get for summer kayak fishing and some wading at certain areas. Obviously waders will roast me, and my search of the post pretty much only found suggestions for cold weather (ie breathable waders). I looked at some choices from NRS on the web, such as the 5 10 Nemo wetshoe and the NRS workboat wetshoe. Any thoughts? thanks for the help

matt

Teva water shoes rule; the Spyder rubber soles works well on poly yaks. Also, Warmer, a brand sold at REI and places like that are great. Rei-outlet (dotcom) has some water boots on sale for half off. Once you get to their site, look in paddling and watersports etc.

S1

A lot depends upon where you'll be fishing. If all you're gong to do is fish out of the kayak or be where there are clean sand bottoms it doesn't require much.

I have the NRS workboots. I like a substantial shoe with a good sole because I walk up rocky rivers, hop onto islands and islets in the Sound and all sorts of places. So determine what your needs are now and what they might be. I do a lot of wading and when I use less substantial boots I often regret it. Its better to have more boot than not enough.

thanks for the advise guys, i'm now between some flats shoes from Bass pro shop that are like the Teva's ($20 or so) and the NRS workboots ($70). You thoughts were all helpful.

matt

JonS-

Do you suggest a neoprene sock to wear with the workboots, or is this being redundant. I have NO idea how they are put together. smile.gif

Looking hard at the Teva water shoe and the NRS boots. rolleyes.gif

boot.jpg

This is a nice looking Warmer Delta Boot -$34.99

Teva Water Shoe Warnings from an avid teva water shoe wearer. JonS is spot on with his advise on wading. Teva watershoes are for paddling and rafting and boat decks where you may get real wet and don't want to slip. They drain well. Where these shoes fail is any rocks or gravel(ouch cuz no insole support, and they fail at wading on reefs and in a strong shore break where there is fine sand. These shoes have a double layer construction and vents (small holes) and sand can pack in between the layers and deal sand back to your feet even after a complete(you think) rinsing. So there are better designs for wading. However as a paddling/launching shoe-Perfect.

The redington all-water boot is real comfy, bullet proof but sorta clunky in the kayak. A great boot though. About $70.00 though.

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 06-04-2002).]

Anything with neoprene will get to hot and sweaty and stinky in warm weather. Never buy neoprene boots with zippers they are the weak link and will fail long before the neoprene. The zipper also allows cold water entry reducing warth of boots. There are alot of good watershoes on the market. We feel high-techs are the best and thats what we sell.

Barrell

One of the things that I really like about the Workboot is that they don't have a zipper. Zippers seem to fail much too often in booties when used in sandy and saltwater environments. Having a stuck zipper isn't fun. Since the Workboot has a slip on and lace up system it eliminates this problem.

I also have a pair of regular booties. I used to wear them a lot but often I'd end up somewhere and the lack of a supportive and tough sole would remind me that they weren't made for walking. Now I wear the Workboots all the time, except with my breathables. With them I have a larger pair of NRS Wetshoes and I leave the zipper open which seems to work fine. At the time I ordered them I wanted the Workboot but they didn't have my size so I settled.

For me I need a boot like a Workboot. I fish too many places where I do a lot of rock hopping, walking up rocky rivers, etc. I'm very pleased with them.