Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darth Baiter

Stupid Yak Questions

18 posts in this topic

I want to yak the bay on my sit on top but not be sitting in a cold puddle of water. I don't mind that when it's warm. How do you stay warm and dry and not drown if'en you roll over? Waders would work but I know that's a disaster waiting to happen. I have access to a wetsuit (after I repair the hole in the crotch) and breathable rain pants. Would prefer the rain gear - does it keep the water out when you're sitting in a puddle? Inquiring minds want to know.

Leave the hole in the crotch. You'll know why later. wink.gif

Drysuit is ideal but pricey. I have used nylon rainpants but in warmer water. They don't anything for ya if you're swimming.

Leave the hole in the crotch. You'll know why later.

As a former surfer that was always a means of warming up, however briefly. biggrin.gif

Got an old pair of neoprene waders in great shape except the boots leak like a sieve. If I cut off the boots, they'ed be like a wet suit.

You could slip into a Pungo biggrin.gif

I don't suppose that's a brand of yak. Thought of that, ruled it out. Oh!!! it is a yak, not a condom. Glad I googled. I have 2 sit on tops, a third would be harder to hide from the wife than my ever increasing supply of fishing tackle.

Hi Darth Baiter,

Check out the cold water clothing articles on (COMMERCIAL LINK - DELETED) I wear breathable stocking foot waders, cleated wading boots, and a breathable dry top clinched at the waist with another wading belt. The dry top is the key to the system. These and splash tops seal at the bottom, sleeves and neck with rubber or neoprene and velcro. You wear them outside your waders which are already cinched up tight. Some have two seals, one you wear in your waders, and the outer one outside for a positive seal. I was out on the Hudson on Croton Bay catching stripers on jigs last weekend and stayed warm and dry even though a wicked south wind cropped up and drove me and other kayakers off the water. Good luck.

ArtieW

[ 04-27-2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

You're not standing in water much so even leaking waders will keep you pretty warm. Get a top and a couple belts and go for a swim. You can roll the tunnel of the top with the waders, belt, and get pretty watertight if you want. With a pfd you're so buoyant you practically bob back into the yak.

Jim is correct; it's an old wives tail the waders will suck you down. And if you use them as the manufactures recommend (dry top & belt like the others above have said) you'll be fine.

Add the PFD you should be wearing and you have little worries. If your still concerned, do what I did, gear up fully and tip your sled over, see if you can remount, it can give you the confidence I think your looking for. Be safe for the test drive, have someone near / shallow water (warm helps too) etc. See what really happens.

Sitting for extended periods of time with a wet butt lead to IAS (itchy arse syndrome) as should be avoided at all costs.

Thanks for all the responses. It appears I have everything I need including more confidence. Next I'll try the ocean, launching/returning through the surf looks like the next obstacle. One step at a time.

Akayak should not have a puddle of water in the seat unless you just paddled through a breaking wave. Good fishing kayaks should be dry and any splashing should drain out imediatly not come up through the scuppers. I am sitting here dressed to go out in a few minutes,just waiting for it to get dark. I am wearing a pair of sweatpants and knee high rubber boots.Other than my life jacket , Thats it..I will return at 1am without a drop of water on me. Just striper slime and blood. Been doin it this way for 16 years. 22 stripers this week so far and the weeks not over.

Now the ocean is another story. The chance of capsising jumps dramaticaly and a wave will always get you on the way in or out so be waterproof.

barrell

Barrell... i have to seriously disagree that wearing a set of rubber boots and sweats, even with a pfd in the dark in this temperature, unless you're in florida,is just not good advice. I couldn't seriously recommend anyone go out and do this.

You're in a small boat, intimately conneected to the water. Are you one foot of water the whole time? what happens when you go over? I know, 20 years experience, I've got a lot of time ont he water as well. which is why I prepare to paddle to be submerged and seperated from yak. A PFD is a must. This water is still cold. SIK/SOT, dress for being wet.

alot of people read these boards do not have the time in the seat you do. they don't know their limitations and the inherent risks associated with paddeling. As a leader you have to preach the safety line. sorry, but I recommend everyone go out this time of year wearing to get wet. even in shore, even in shallow waterseven in a SIK. Hypothermia sets in fast and the brain goes numb quick. scott

Barrell... i have to seriously disagree that wearing a set of rubber boots and sweats, even with a pfd in the dark in this temperature, unless you're in florida,is just not good advice. I couldn't seriously recommend anyone go out and do this.

You're in a small boat, intimately conneected to the water. Are you one foot of water the whole time? what happens when you go over? I know, 20 years experience, I've got a lot of time ont he water as well. which is why I prepare to paddle to be submerged and seperated from yak. A PFD is a must. This water is still cold. SIK/SOT, dress for being wet.

alot of people read these boards do not have the time in the seat you do. they don't know their limitations and the inherent risks associated with paddeling. As a leader you have to preach the safety line. sorry, but I recommend everyone go out this time of year wearing to get wet. even in shore, even in shallow waterseven in a SIK. Hypothermia sets in fast and the brain goes numb quick. scott

Couldn't agree more. Always dress for immersion, whatever that means. Have to be able to survive in the water if necessary.

I never bite off more than I can chew and I know my limitations. Yes I have seen guys do stupid things that they dont have the experience or skills for. So you guys are right.Not everyone should plan on never going over.I would never be able to stay out as long as I do if I was bogged down with all the gear many of you wear. Didnt get home till 2am this morning 17 bass later to 32 inches.

barrell

I wear breathable stocking foot waders, cleated wading boots, and a breathable dry top clinched at the waist with another wading belt.

I wear the exact same thing but i was wondering if it is OK to wear TEVA like sandles with the stocking foot waders. This leaves the neoprene sock exposed. Would this be a good way to ruin a nice pair of waders?

The only wading shoes i own have spikes in them and I don't think that's good in a plastic kayak. I don't want to scuff it all up.

What do you all suggest?

Glad to hear you did so well barrell. Good fishing!!!

TEVA's allow a lot of sand in there, but their easier to rinse out too. The soles of those waders can be delicate to abraisives. I actually bought a pair of cheap wading shoes at dicks, under 20 bucks. Works well. But yea, if they stay on teva's should work. S