Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfacetension

Someone Lost at Round Valley?????????

17 posts in this topic

I hope this is not true , but my friend just called and said they found a Kayak at Round Valley Sunday??? Could not find anyone stopped the seach at dark. Sunday was brutal out , Anyone hear anything?????

From what ST told me his wife was supposedly there looking for him. He called me to tell me and wondered if it was pmjasper who fishes there via kayak. PM is a carefull person and Sunday was brutal. So I'm sure that it wasn't him.

It,s TRUE!! I just got the fax from the news wire at the Radio station I work for.

(Clinton Township-AP)-- Authorities are searching Round Valley Reservoir after rangers found an empty kayak. A fisherman said he saw a kayaker enter the water around the same time a high wind warning sounded yesterday. Officials are trying to determine whether a car at the nearby boat ramp belongs to the kayaker.

This is very sad , but yesterday was NO day to be out.

[This message has been edited by surfacetension (edited 03-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by surfacetension (edited 03-11-2002).]

I hope he is ok, maybe walked out on the other side after getting dumped? Lot's of prayers. Please be safe all...know your and your yaks limits. There is still lot's of fishing to come. Scott

I'm a OK but saddened to hear of an apparent tradgedy. Hopefully it is all just a rumor but I fear the news is true. Enjoy your time on the water but be safe guys.

It seems to me I've been hearing stories about people drowning in Round Valley since they filled the place. Not a place to take chances if anyplace is.

Wear your PFD and dress for immersion, don't go alone especially in cold conditions. I'm just getting started with the Yak thing and took a lesson recently with an ACA instructor down on LI sound. She has paddled in some pretty severe conditions and was emphatic that that she would never paddle alone at this time of year.

I agree that at this time of year going alone is asking for trouble. Only on a small lake or pond would I go alone now and then it would have to be a really still day (no wind).

I feel bad for the guy but anyone who went out on the water with a yak Sunday was trying to commit suicide. It was incredibly windy and cold. Couldn't keep hands out of gloves for a minute doing things.

A few years back during Floyd some guy in a new whitewater kayak decided to try it out (he was a beginner) on the lower Musky when it was many feet above flood stage. I don't recall if the body was ever found. Sometimes I just dont understand what people are thinking.

I think that too many people watch extreme sports on TV and think that they can do it do. We have a fairly pampered existence but Mother Nature is still what she's always been. A dynamic force not to fooled around with.

Always err on the side of caution. When in doubt think real hard. Cold water is an extreme condition no matter what the air temp is.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 03-12-2002).]

Guys, just throwing an idea out there... Would it make sense to have some sort of identification attached to our yaks? Maybe a small "tag" (with name, phone#, address, etc.) like what they have with your names at the bottom of trophies attached to the yaks with double sided foam tape, pop rivets, etc.? This way, if someone finds your yak, they will know who it belongs to and start to make calls or whatever.

They found the body , seems the guy went out in 4 foot waves and 50 mph winds while his girl friend watched from shore???/ He had a wetsuit top only on. Seems like a total waste of life, being MR. Macho, I hope they don,t think all Kayakers are this NUTS, Too Bad , they had warning light and flags up and he went out anyway.

I'm sorry, did I read that right? The girlfriend was watching from shore? Something doesn't jibe here; if this is true, she should have been around to sound an alarm or at the very least know almost immediately when he didn't return. confused.gif

Chris

From the Jersey Star Ledger via the Jersey Shore Sea Kayak Site

The body of a kayaker last seen Sunday afternoon was pulled from the Round Valley Reservoir in Hunterdon County yesterday morning, authorities said.

Nicolae Rado, 27, of Piscataway perished in the frigid waters, said Sgt. Al Della Fave, a spokesman for the State Police.

The man's body was found by friends shortly before 7 a.m. on the eastern shore of the reservoir, moments before the scheduled resumption of an official search.

The body was found face down on the shore between campsites 63 and 64, about 100 yards from where the kayak and paddles were found at 8:45 p.m. Sunday, the sergeant said.

The victim was wearing a wet suit on his upper body, but it was of little use in the cold water, Della Fave added.

"It doesn't matter what he was wearing," Della Fave said. "Once he can't get back to shore, he's not going to last."

Rado apparently launched his kayak sometime between 10 and 11 a.m. Sunday, ignoring warnings that weather conditions were hazardous, authorities said.

With 4-foot swells and 50 mph winds blowing in the area, he apparently ignored flashing beacons that signaled hazardous conditions, authorities added. A sign posted near the launch point at the Clinton Township recreation area warns against boating when the warning lights are blinking.

Rado apparently struggled to navigate the choppy waters, keeping in contact with his unidentified girlfriend, who remained on shore. She lost contact with him at 2:30 p.m. He was reported last seen by fishermen at 3 p.m., Della Fave said.

A search was conducted by a State Police helicopter using night vision and thermal imaging equipment until about 9:30 p.m. Sunday -- 45 minutes after the empty kayak was found -- when it was discontinued because of high winds, Della Fave said.

Also participating in the search were rescuers from the Clinton first aid squad, the Somerset County Dive and Rescue Team and the State Police Marine Unit. A Whitehouse rescue crew and state rangers from Spruce Run and Voorhees also joined the search.