Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

Little Nk Bay 2

17 posts in this topic

Got on the water at dead low, 8am, and proceeded to paddle all over the place till approx. noon on a fruitless quest for fish!!!

Magnificent conditions to get skunked in though!

Rudy, where were you?

Hooked up w/MrSinbad around 11 adn we went deep into the back by the tracks.

Guys on shore and boats but nothing was happening.

Saw a post from JoeyKayaker.

He said he was out there the same time I was and he got into several bass over near the cove on the Douglaston side.

Sinbad and I were the only yakers I saw.

I spent the entire time south of the marina on both sides.

Gotta try the cove next time.

Access & parking were perfect.

This will last until May 1 so if you're thinking of try LNB, do it soon.

I've been out there early mornings on shore and seen TONS of stripers hitting bait.

Of course they were to far out for me to get to.

It's a good spot!

Just not today!!

DASBOOT my friend was catching a striper on almost every cast there with a flyrod on Thurs/Sat and most likely today to. If your not going low and slow thats the problem.

Oh, man!!! You're killing me!!! cwm14.gif Das, next time I say right, you go left!

Well, when you get skunk.gif'ed, you have to look at it differently... I really wanted to get out and enjoy the weather, and BTW what a beautiful day it was! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 04-14-2002).]

Flyrodder,

With the water level between 5 and 1.5 ft, I don't think depth was an issue.

Do you know what part of the bay your friend was fishing?

What can I say but it just wasn't my day!!

Sinbad, I had fun regardless.

Next time out though, you bring a rod!!

You're ready for "The Next Step"!!

DASBOOT, after launching from the marina on an outgoing you head to the north and over by the first point by the Fort. As a shore fisherman this was a great spot to fish and with the yak you can drift the shore line without being kicked out as I was on a regular basis (was accompanied out seveal by the guards, what bunch of tools). Anyway, the yak will stop all that. Good luck!

Salty,

Thanks for the tip.

Have you found the outgoing to be more productive.

I would think incoming would be better thinking that the bait is being chased inside from deeper water.

As ong as the water is moving I guess either will produce.

Any other thoughts on this?

DASBOOT even though it was warm out yesterday the water temp is still just below 50 degrees. If you expect a striper to chase the fly or lure in water that cold you will not catch a thing. Like I said my friend has been catching stripers some big keepers some small. How's he doing it? He's bouncing the fly real real slow off the bottom.

Flyrodder,

Stripers are VERY active in 50 degree water. Their depth preference has more to do with light levels and bait location.

Das,

The LNB bass are on big bunker right now and you need to find the bait to find the fish. If you want to play with schoolies, you can get them on plugs/flies/plastics. The big girls are lookin for meat. If you want a shot at a BIG fish, nows the time, but you gotta get down and dirty and feed em a chunk.

Sorry dude, I've been booked. Next available evening would be Friday, would you consider then? Anyone else for Friday night, Sat PM, or Sunday late AM? Maybe some other guys like Rudy (who has disappeared) might want to break in his yak with some fish slime.

OZNAVAD so far the stripers I have caught there are not very active for 50degree water temp. From all the books out on catching striped bass according to all the authors the ideal water temps would be from the low 50's to the higher 60's. According to these authors catching stripers in water temps of 50-40degrees the fish are more lathargic and will not put up a good fight. More like pulling in dead weight. They have a little fight in them. I agree if you want to catch some bigger bass use bait but I won't. I would hate to gut hook a nice fish cut the line and release it only for it to go belly up an hour later. Besides bunker being present in LNB,Manhasset Bay and H/Harbor theres also a ton of small bait there as well. A friend of mine has caught more than a few stripers in LNB recently biggest being close to 40" using a flyrod. So the bass are taking almost everything thats in front of them.

[This message has been edited by FLYRODDER (edited 04-16-2002).]

Just got back from LNB with Kayak Joe and his brother Sal.Plenty of fish and plenty of bait.the fish were tight to the beach on the eastern side under the bunker schools.We trolled up some larger fish in the middle of the bay.If you want to get the big boys use the bunker like OZ said.Boring and smelly but it will help you weed through the rats.Joey was taking temps and I think he got a few readings close to 65 in the coves.I also had a 6" storm wild eyes tail bit off confused.gif By the way the swimming action on those things are unreal.

Oz I will be camping at Hither Hills the third week of June.We have to hook up.I know you spend alot of time out there.

Doug M

Doug,

Did you guys have any problem w/parking?

I'm thinking of nixing LNB tomorrow late in the afternoon because I don't wanna get there with everything and not be able to park.

I might hit Bar Bch or Prybil.

There's plenty of pking there.

What tide were you on?

Now I know who surrounded me while I was doing fish on almost every cast last evening...

I'll say hello next time.

Mike Lang

------------------

usa3.gif