Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJ Plugger

Fishing Very Rough Surf

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I was recently fishing and the surf and wind was soo crazy it was hard casting Big Cedar Plugs. I tried going to a smillin bills but the current was soo strong that it would beach the 1 1/2 oz. jig almost before I could retrieve it. I was very frustrated...Do you guys have any tips, advice, Go to plugs in heavy seas and ragging winds???!??? Anything would help alot

Try 3 or 4 oz jigs with pork rinds or 3-4 oz tin. These will stay deep enough to work in the waves.The rowdier the water the rowdier the fish!

guys, if you were referring to the heavy east wind this weekend, the only thing you can do to really effectively fish, is try to think of spots where the wind isnt sweeping horizontally down the beach. you could throw a 10 oz wood plug and your still gonna sweep. If you cast a heavier bucktail directly into the wind, you might be able to get it where it needs to be for a couple of seconds, but your never gonna be able to do what you want with water like that. try to find a jetty, a cove, etc where you can still and cast with that wind, and think where you can keep your plug, jig in the strike zone for as long as possible.

it is very frustrating, I was in an area this weekend where there were TONS of fish but the wind didnt allow us to get to em..

BC

How about a teaser about 15"-18" above a sinker? You can get good distance on a cast, and I'm finding the fish crazy for them right now in my spot. I work it just like a bucktail, and you can use whatever weight you need to do the job. Casts better than a bucktail.

Big bucktail 4-5oz to get it out in that wind it was movin pretty fast but managed a short Saturday night first time I tried one that large. Had a clam and 8 oz fifty feet away nothin doin for two hours. Tried a darter to no avail Kinda rough out there this weekend.

Sounds like normal Hatteras conditions, big surf, strong current and windy. That is when we go to the 6 0z Hopkins, Stingsilvers and jigs. Cast them with the 11'9" Breakaway and hold on. Gets tiring Very fast.

Chicken scratch mag darter, thrown up wind slightly and fish it down wind and current. Moving as I retrieve to make it look like it was swimming down current to a jetty for cover.

big surf = big fish,heavy chrome,heavy jigs.heavy rod.go prepared man.some guys wince at heavy stuff,i like it.maine coast can be great but very unforgiving and somedays you just gotta do it or go home.aim for the sky and try to get aleast 150 yards out or past the 3rd,4rth wave and reel like hell.