Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Where to buy a used Yak.

15 posts in this topic

I will be purchasing a Yak over the winter. the majority of the time, I will use this purely for access to beaches I can no longer park at.

however, I would like to be able to use it to fish occasionally, I compete as a surfcaster, so 99% I wont be fishing in it, but fluke, weakfish, etc, I might dabble in.

so, Im think I want to get an Ocean Kayak (sit on top) either the Drifter or the Malibu 2.

question is, where is a good place on long island to look? good websites for used yaks? what do I need to get to be comfy in this thing?

Im big so I think I need these models.

any help is appreciated!

BC

BC, I believe there is a feature on the OK website where you can type in your zipcode and find the nearest dealer. I expanded the search to 100 Miles and called every store for a price. This is for a new boat, but I think you could probably do well at this time of year for price.Check your pms for more details. D

Doug,ive got a Malibu eXtreme FS.Im up in the Adirondaks but i get down to LI on ocasion to visit my old buds.Probably not till spring though.Lived in Sayville about 20yrs.I started out asking 600 about a month ago but have it at 500 now for the winter.Let me know if your interested.Bernie

Bermie, I just got back from a week of deer hunting in the Adirondacks. Pretty nice up there . We were south of Johnsburg at the base of Huckleberry mountain. Where are you up there?

barrell

Barrell,im in Lyonsdale/Lewis co about 1 mi inside the Adirondak park.Theres no actual town though with stores or anything.The nearest "real" town is Boonville.Thats about 10mi from me and 35mi N of Utica.It is beautifull country smile.gif The deer hunting's a lot tougher than in the southern tier but you usually get a 6pt'r or better up here when things come togetherbiggrin.gif On ocasion a bear stops by for a visit but havent seen one in season yet.Saw a nice one around 500lbs or so one morning on my way to work.Got to about 20yds from him before he scooted back into the woods.AWESOME ANIMAL! He looked like he could roll my Toyota PU over he felt like it eek.gif

BC, After hitting all the websites to see all the yaks that are out there, I found the boat I wanted, found the best price on the net, downloaded the page and took it to Glacier Bay sports in Brookhaven. They matched the price and offered 10% off all purchases for the rest of the season and gave me a season pass to put-in at their dock. They also have a store in Centerport. Check them out. I have a Wilderness Systems Ride. you can stand and cast from it, it's so stable. The back bays at night, unbelieveable!

BC ...I'd try Glacier Bay in Northport and Peconic Paddler in Riverhead as these seem closer to your area.

Peconic Paddler is set for their winter clearance sale so I'd give a call over there first.Jim Dreeben(Dreebin?) owns it and they are a decent bunch to deal with.

Mike and Gabriel down at Empire Kayaks in Island Park are also some real nice folks with a place right on the water to test paddle your choices.

There is another place up by your neck of the woods...but I can't remember it at the moment!

When I do I'll post back!

Also...look used! A good site is *******.Always lots of yaks/canoes being sold and I find used the way to go!Much more for your $$ and seing as these things are plastic they really last awhile and other than scratches are fine crafts.