Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

Student tours

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys!!

I know this has nothing toi do w/yaks or fishing but I have a feeling this won't be a problem.

I work with "at risk" high school seniors from Freeport HS.

My program is called the Prosper Program and each school day between 12 and 2:45, I try to introduce them to business environments that they may become involved with after graduation.

We have internships at WGBB radio station, Home Depot and the Robert Plan Ins. Co. in Bethpage, LI.

On Thursdays I try to get them a tour at a different business in Nassau to expose them to as much diversity as possible.

They are all good kids but have learning disabilities and/or emotional problems,

trouble at home, gang involvement, etc, etc, etc.

Are any of you in a position to allow my class to visit your place of work at anytime?

I have 12 students, if they all show!

Anything would be a help.

Don't be shy!!!

PM me if this is a possibility.

Thanks!

DASBOOT biggrin.gif

DASBOOT,

timing is bad on this one. I used to give tours at Millstone Nuclear Power Plant to friends, scouts etc... but with the 9/11 thang, that is no longer possible. It's really too bad too because the kids and adults always enjoyed the tour.

anyways, good luck,

dougie v

Das, Contact your local Fire Dept. They usually will help out any group who needs a tour. The key is to give them a little lead time to prepare, if you are expected it is a much better experience for everyone. Most are very experienced in tours due to fire prevention education with the schools. I'd say throw them on the port jeff ferry and bring them to my station, but they would have more fun on the boat . That's also an idea. Have them get on the ferry and just do a round trip with maybe a tour by the crew, engine room, bridge etc. Good Luck Dave

Thanks for the input gents.

WesthavenDave,

The fire house is a good idea.I'll look into that.

The ferry would be great if I could trust them not to toss something, or somebody, overboard!

However, maybe there is something nautical in Freeport that could be of interest to them.

I know there is a Freeport Museum.

I wonder if they give lectures?

Anybody else in Nassau?

Or do you have any friends that might let us come.

It can be as short as 1 hour.

Thanks in advance.

DASBOOT

Das, another good place in your neck of the woods is the Long Island Maritime museum in West Sayville. I attended a concert there last summer and got to know the director his name is Doug Shaw, he's a great guy, and would most likely be agreeable to a tour. The website is www.limaritime.org

Check out the photos of the Great Big Sea concert we had a great time, and it looks like a great place to launch a yak into great south bay. Good Luck, Dave

Westhaven you beat me to it. Das, I agree a fire department is usually well prepared for tours, especially when you give them notice. Most have a fire prevention talk by the on duty crew set and ready to go. If the tour is out you may want to ask them to come to you. We do it down here.

das, I know I am pretty far from You, but the business I run is every kids dream. I have operated a surf,skate ,kayak shop in Brigantine N.J. for 29 years. Your kids are welcome to come down and do a tour. I started in 1973 with $1500 and I was 18 years old. This might just be what they need to show them that anything is possible if You realy want it to work.

Barrell

Boy!

You guys are cookin!!

Keep those ideas comin' in!!!

Unfortunately, I am restricted to Nassau county.

They get in the bus by 12 noon and have to be back at Freeport HS by 4pm at the absolute latest.

I am checking out the fire stations and the Freeport Museum.

I'll check how far the Sayville Museum is.

Maybe I can talk the school into making it a field trip.

Anyway, thanks for the help everybody!

DASBOOTbiggrin.gif