Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Operater

Waders????boot or stocking???

16 posts in this topic

I am getting ready for my 1st season of yak fishing.I am in the market for a new pair of waders, & want to replace my neoprenes with breathables.These will also be used to fish the beach.What do you guys use most....Boot foot, or stocking foot?

Gotta say I get scared stiff wearing waders in my kayak. Even with a belt around the top, I still fear filling up with water.

I picked up a farmer john wetsuit that I wear when in the kayak.

In the surf, I have my pair of old neoprene stocking foot waders....I would prefer a pair of boot foot waders, but won't pony up the dough until the current ones bight the dust.

Eric

maybe its just me, but every pair of stocking foot i have had have gotten my feet "damp"

enough down south to make me coldER than i was before getting too wet. I have tried 3 pairs of stocking foot and will be going back to boot.

i have heard some of the """""older"""" guys saying that with boot foot and a good pair of boots that they feel more sure-footed. im not worried about that quite yet, i just want me feet to be 100% dry, and therefore warm.

as far as yakin, i dont usually wear boots, i'll wear teva's ontop of my stocking foot, i feel much more comfortable that way.

jmo.

neil

Here is what I'm talking about when I mentioned a pair flats boot. They are super light weight and help protect the foot of your waders better than sandals. The trick is getting the 1 size larger than your shoe size to go over your waders. This is just one style I googled up, I wear a set made by Shimano.

chota-nb700.jpg

As far as wearing a pair of waders on your yak, I've dumped in the surf zone badly in my breathables, waves slamming down on me. I had a wading pullover on over top and a belt. If a cup of water got into my waders, that would be a lot of water. The waders get pressed tight to your body by the water, helping keep you dry and bouyant, a dry top or quality wading jacket can help keep the water out. Try it some time at a lake, pond or swimming pool, you'd be surprised at how dry and bouyant you will be.

I'm with mulletmiller here. I use NRS yak shoes over my stocking foot waders. Any boot sucks in a yak. If you go this route, try the shoes on with you waders and barefoot. I know there is big size difference, the neoprene will stretch a bit. In late spring it's just shorts and the yak shoes. Saves a few bucks just purchasing one pair of shoes.

Just because I already own them for the surf, I have used my boot chest waders (with belt) and a Simms with the neoprene waist, arm and neck cuffs.

In the spring, I was going to go with breatheable dry pants (and the Simms top) and a delta boot:

dang edit

Just because I already own them for the surf, I have used my boot chest waders (with belt) and a Simms with the neoprene waist, arm and neck cuffs. Bulky, but at zero extra cost, it works.

In the spring, I was going to go with breatheable dry pants (and the Simms top) and a delta boot:

Halfboots.jpg

But after reading this thread, I wonder if that type of boot will be sufficent when the water is 50? Anyone, comments?

At what water temp does a wet suit make sense, and doesn't a wet suit need to be in the water to work properly?

Merlino wool socks and Mysterioso undergarments. With the breathable stuff it will keep you dry and warm. Whatever you do, do not wear cotton under any breathable fabric, (goretex, dry plus, etc.) The mysterioso is just what I had bought a few years ago, there are plenty other versions on wicking undergarments out there. The wool is exremely comfy, not like the wool socks of old (scratchy).

Hey Mike..

The rest sounds fine to me. Sounds like you dressing similar to a white water yaker. On occasional foot submersion you body will warm up the water in the boots provided you not doing a bunch of wading, From the photos it looks like the booties in the pic are neoprene with out any venting (Good). I get cold feet so I don't like to get them wet.

JeffL, in the kayak, only stocking foot with Cabela's lightweight boots with cleated bottom. In the surf, only bootfoot waders-the sand will eat through the stocking foot waders too fast. Just my .02.

Good luck,

Artie

I use the NRS paddling boots in the winter with Mysterioso socks from Kayak Fishing Stuff. Here's the boots;

They are very comfortable and warm. No problem in the kayak. You can get out and wade in cold water and keep you feet dry as long as you do not go over the top. Even then there is a gasket to keep the water from rushing in....... I use a wetsuit in the winter time; actually two in water colder than 55 degrees. I use the Famer John from NRS and a shorty surfing type suit with long sleeves over it. Max protection and unlike the possibility with waders, I do not have to worry about them filling with water. lg_smile.gif

Sandtiger, please use no commercial links in your post. Take a minute and review the user agreement at the top of the page. MM

[ 02-15-2006, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Mullet Miller ]

Bootfoots are superior in the surf and stockingfoots are better in the kayak. Often the bootfoots are to large to comfortably fit in some kayaks especially those with foot ridges. I prefer stocking foots as they give me a lot of flexibility in choices of shoes. If I'm fishing sandy areas, then a flats boot is fine. From the Sound north I prefer a more rugged sole as I'm hopping off on rocks, etc. Also for fishing freshwater rivers a firm sole is good on rocky bottoms.