Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darrell

Oregon Inlet & Va Beach Fishing report

7 posts in this topic

I know when a couple of you guys came down a few weeks ago our luck was limited to croaker. That was fun but this was better. Had to go to Hatteras to set up hotel reservations for fathers day weekend and chaters but took the yak for fishing after all that was done. Put in at Oregon Inlet. Paddled around the back side of the coast guard station and on my way picked up my first blue from a yak. Nothing big, a Taylor Blue I believe they call them. Only 18 inch but teeth and speed. He was the first of 3 for that part of my day. I headed back to va ebach and reached Owls Creek Inlet. The same place I fished with the guys from up north. But I faired a bit better. I picked up a nice trout, unfortunely he was an inch undersize. The next fish was a 5 pound Blue. Noting small about this guy. He nailed a small gree trailing finger grub behind a larger green twist tail grub. I went to set the hook and he snapped my rod tip off. Not just the tip but the first foot of the rod. Don't go crazy it was only a medium to light weight rod. But still got him to the boat and released him for another day and another rod. But this rod with be a pit bigger. going to get that tomorrow.

------------------

Va_Yakfisherman@yahoo.com

Great report!

I often wonder about yak fishing Oregon Inlet... great water with a lot of potential fish. Did you just stay bayside or did you venture into the wild blue? I was thinking bay side at night to start off... deep water close to shore and all that bait right in the bay.

Personal suggestion. When replacing that rod, don't go too long, it makes release difficult and you only need to be able to reach the end of the yak. Good luck and keep us posted,

Dougie V

Nice report Darrell. I've heard that YFT come in there at Oregon Inlet at certain times of the year. That would be pretty interesting. Anyone- any info on that?

Darrel, good work! I love fishing OI!

JimW - I've never heard of YFT being caught at OI. The big boats catch them out of OI, but they run quite a ways offshore to catch them. I highly doubt that YFT are caught anywhere near shore. I have heard of guys catching Bluefin Tuna in schools of stripers during the winter down in NC. These schools are pretty close to the beach so maybe that is what you are thinking of.

MikeC

I was told YFT take a few charges thru the Inlet but I personally don't know anything abt tuna that ain't in a can. If there's any place to get at them in a yak thought that might be it. Be some wild day, don't you think?

Jim, I've had the same thought. Say you are fishing one of these large schools of stripers in the winter from the yak. You accidentally hook a BFT, man what a ride. I don't use tackle heavy enought to handle something that large so I doubt it would last very long, but I bet you would set a new yak speed record for the short time that the BFT was on the line.

Darrel,

I've booked Wednesday, Thrusday and Friday at Fort Story Next week. Any Chance we can hook up? I've a couple of Medium-Heavy rods I'd like to try in those inlets!