Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shady grady

Kayak Prices

8 posts in this topic

How can a hunk of molded plastic cost so freaking much? I thought about getting a Kayak since a friend of mine got one. But after shopping around, I cant believe the prices. Oh well, back to the beach I go.

Shady, its not the plastic You are paying for. The kayaks are made in a spinning mold in a 700 degree oven. A mold can cost $100,000.00 And we all know with the cost of fuel what it would cost to keep a 16 foot long oven at 700 degrees 24/7. The shipping costs right now are out of hand. The oven itself is very expensive. So its not the $2.00 a pound plastic cost that detrmines the cost of the yak, thats actualy the cheapest part of the process.

When you consider that most yaks have a lifetime warranty and will probably last 20 to 30 years they are a bargain.

Barrell

you can find cheap kayaks, just go to dicks or sams. You get what you pay for, but if you want on the water.... Now compared to my friends 26 foot center console hydra sport with twin 225's....well he's got about 100 kayaks in there...and he still can't get to where the fishy are smile.gif

Definitely check the Buy- Sell-trade forums daily. There are alot of really good deals on there. Also another site, ****stuff.com, sells "blems" or imperfect ones. The imperfection doesn't effect the preformance. I bought a small one for my son, and saved $100, and the "blem" was a mark in the plastic, where the rudder would go anyway. This place has Marquesea Redfish rolleyes.gif "blems" $150 off. I wish I could afford another yak now!