Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yak-MD

Caper for a big guy?

5 posts in this topic

Hey there. I am looking for my first fishing yak. I found someone selling a caper for the right price. I am 6' - 250 lbs. I will be in the Chesapeake Bay some, not long trips. I will be in lakes and rivers more often. I hear this is a good starter yak. Any one of my size have any thoughts about the caper?

Appreciate it!

Try more than one brand, BEFORE you buy!

What's a caper?

At 6' and 250 you should be looking at a SOT (Sit on Top) Try a Tarpon 160 by Wilderness System and then compare it to other yaks.

I'm 6' and 220 now! (Ya gotta love Weight Watchers in the winter time!) and I have a Pungo P-140 (Sit in Side) by Wilderness Systems and have decided to keep the P-140 but buy a T-160

Sit on Top to celibrate my up comming 66th birthday in May.

I'm in decent shape with enough upper body strength to lift my self up by my arms to get out of a sit in. The SOT Tarpon 160 is longer by 2' and wider by 1 inch. Getting in and out is much easier with a SOT and I use yaks to get to sand bars, islands and other structure and then get out and wade fish. I troll between sandbars, points, islands, but perfer to cast standing up with my feet on the sand, rocks, etc. and my eyes higher than sitting in a yak.

I like to see 'em coming and ambush them shen they get in range.

Yak dealers are like car dealers! They will let you take the unit for a ride. Check out dealers in your yellow pages or ask the guys on this forum

who is good/best in your area. Go with the ones who will let you paddle the yak at or near their place of business.

You have to put your butt in the boat and get the feel for it before you buy it.

Most fiahing yaks are 28 to 30 inches wide and very stable for manly sized guys like us. The pungo and Tarpon series can be rolled over, but you have to want to do it. It won't happen like some of the 18 to 20" touring yaks. All you have to do in one of them is take your eye off the ball and you find your self upside down and wondering what the heck happened?

Enjoy! It is a trip, yakin, it will keep you in good shape and put lead in your pencil and a twinkle in your eye! biggrin.gif

Thanks RJ, good advice.

What is a Caper?

Ocean Kayak makes the Caper. It's a small SOT, 11'. They also make the Drifter, a little bigger, will carry quite a bit more weight. I am looking at both. They are pretty inexpensive, and that's one of my main concerns right nowsmile.gif

I am looking for some bigger guys who have or have had a Caper to see if they had a good experience with them, or if at our size it might be better to get a little longer boat.

Thanks Bruce! I found a great deal on a Drifter and ordered it. I think it's going to be a good fit. It sure holds a lot more weight smile.gif

I would still like to hook up with you when I am down that way. Going to Solomon's again this weekend but won't have time to play frown.gif

How far are you from the Tiki bar wink.gif Off of route 4?

-Bert