Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken L

Transitions

5 posts in this topic

The thread on how did you get started jogged my memory. In Kayak Fishing: The Revolution the history of some of his chosen experts traces how they went from canoe to John boat to Bass Boat to float tube to kayak, in that order. That was my transition too or at least one of them. I was wondering if others followed the same steps? If not what led you to The darkside?

For me it was boats (several sizes) to float tube to kayak. Never had a canoe.

Its been by far the most enjoyable of all the vessels with the float tube being second. I really can't imagine fishing without a yak now.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-04-2002).]

johnboat>bass boat>float tube>canoe (admittedly, I bought the canoe and it never made to the water, gave to a cousin when I left for NY). I agree with JonS, the tube is a blast and highly portable/mobile. My fondest memories, however, were hauling monster catfish in my johnboat.

Having a big smallmouth jump near the tube and being over my head is a thrill. Being towed and spun around with a good fish is a blast too. Pickerel always scare the you know what out of me when they love to strike just as I'm lifting the lure from the water.

Jon: those chain pickerel were outstanding fighters, I agree. In fact, they were, for me as well, THE most exciting fish in a boat or tube. The cats were strong but the fights weren't as spectacular.