Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry Mac

Spinning Blank Ideas?

7 posts in this topic

Hey,

I just fit a new alloy Penn spool on a perfect condition old green 710 spinfisher (cracked plastic spool) I had laying around the basement and want to build a rod for it to use from my Kayak.

Looking at 7 to 8 feet, ranging from 1 1/2 to 2oz. Give me some idea's guys.........

Thanks,

Terry Mac

I'm a big fan of glass rods from the yak, for the action and the toughness. My favorite is an MB842F, but an MB963M might better suit your needs. They won't break the bank either.

Terry the GBT 84 1L is a boat blank with a nice moderate taper. Great for fishing bait and all around use. If you are going to cast alot, maybe check out the GLB series. An 8 footer that might work is the GLB 96 1MT, MH, or H. Just my .02 FWIW.

I built a spinning rod on a Lami GLB 841m and love it. I have a Scupper Pro which is long, but I have no problem reaching to the ends of the kayak while fighting fish. This blank can easily handle 2 oz and I have pushed up to 3oz.

This rod also doubles as a surf rod for the north shore of LI.

Great lifting power, light and has handled bass up to 34"s.

Good luck with whatever you build, but consider this blank or the 8 footer.

Tom

new2yakin, lami uses that blank in their factory 7 foot surf series rod, model xs71ms I think it is. Great schoolie and Albie rod. I have a 4000 size Shimano on mine and it sees lots of use.

-Alex