Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Guidelines for posting reports in the Yak forum discussion thread.

44 posts in this topic

Lost of good discussion. I don’t post reports much so whatever is decided will not alter how I post. Heck I rarely ever hop on SOL for kayak related topics. There is a big difference between reports from kayaks vs surf/boat is that you are burning two spots at once.

The surf crowd can park and walk in a good distance, I know I do it. Hell many park a distance to avoid people tracking them down so easily.

Boats can burn the catch location but it is almost meaningless where they are out of because they can cover a ton of ground and it is expected that X# of cars will be at a ramp for the marina or ramp.

If a kayak announces that they launched out of X and did well at Y they kill everything. If they report to have done well launching out of X they still kill it because of parking and most only cover so much water. If you report doing well at spot Y you still kill it because it is fairly easy to figure out where to launch.

Let people do their own HW. If you post pictures avoid identifying marks. Hell many people have the camera set with GPS and all I have to do is download the pic to know exactly where the photo was taken. But that is a bit of work. If someone post that they are launching out at spot X tomorrow that is not all that bad bc you have no clue how they did. And if they post a report in a reports section it takes a little HW to go back and look up where they put in at.

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I had posted this in the Raritan Bay Keyport Thread

Sudsy had asked

"The question that needs to be answered is "what is a spotburn ?" obviously different here then from on land."

Its a good question. For definition I would say:

Providing privileged information and/or photographs on a location where fish have been caught from a Kayak, in a public forum, such that people viewing the information will be able to identify the location.

Examples:

I launched in Keyport and fished Raritan Bay in 15 feet of water off a point and caught 10 Bass = Spotburn

I launched in Keyport and fished Raritan Bay in 15 feet of water and caught 10 Bass = Spotburn

I launched in Keyport and fished Raritan Bay and caught 10 Bass = Spotburn

I fished Raritan Bay and caught 10 bass in 15 feet of water = Not a Spotburn

I fished Raritan Bay and caught 10 fish = Not a spotburn

I fished the Nissy and caught 10 bass = Spotburn

I fished Long Island North Shore in Central Suffolk and caught 10 bass = Not a Spotburn

I apologize for jumping in here on " page 2" but what are the big fears on this one. i am new to kayaking but have owned a boat for twenty years. Why would it matter if you shared your launch point unless that is if you are launching from private property? One would think that knowing there is a kayak presence in a particular area would draw more to the sport. I for one would love to read that there is a group in my area that I could join up with. As far as spot burning, what is the fear, that you will see a fleet of kayakers in your general area? I know for certain anyone with a boat is not creeping the kayak forums looking for spots.

my fear is guys dont practice what they preach-guys post reports with pictures the same as the one newbies on here get ripped for daily-if you are going to be against spot burning be consistent-I have watched guys burn spots for years on the two main yak forums on other sites and now wonder why there are lots of people there but yet get in a newbies face for proudly displaying a picture of a bass he caught that might show some location info in the picture.

Sudsy, as I stated before - not looking to make waves and agree with most.  It comes down to common sense on how you report and no one should ever be chirping on the radio (real time). But to say you fished Raritan bay isn't revealing much.......

Agreed, saying I caught fish in Raritan bay is fine

Saying I fished 15 yards off the tip of Earl Pier in Raritan bay is not fine

It'sall the stuff in the middle of those extremes that needs to be worked out

How's this for the header of a reports thread ?

Can it be made better ??

Post your catches and photos here.

Try not to be too specific with the location, general area is fine.

Example:

"Raritan Bay west of Earl" (it's 50 square miles of water) is fine

100 yards off the point in X Town " is not.

Try and take your photo's and videos facing away from the beach (easy to do and it's a good habit to get into)

Remember, this is a very large site, thousands of people see these posts, power boat and charter guys as well as kayakers.

You don't want to be driven off a good bite you worked hard to find.

And always we want to be positive and get along with each other. Name calling, baiting, and negative attitudes will not be tolerated. The following site rules are always in effect:

http://www.stripersonline.com/a/guidelines-and-rules

being mindful of landmarks might be helpful too. Quite a few pictures have lighthouses, water towers, etc etc in them that are dead giveaways. This goes hand in hand with shooting away from land, but sometimes there are special circumstances. like shooting away from land off perth amboy gives you staten island and the light house....both dead giveaways...

Good point

Better ??

Post your catches and photos here.

Try not to be too specific with the location, general area is fine.

Example:

"Raritan Bay west of Earl" (it's 50 square miles of water) is fine

100 yards off the point in X Town " is not.

Try and take your photo's and videos facing away from the beach any landmarks (easy to do and it's a good habit to get into)

Remember, this is a very large site, thousands of people see these posts, power boat and charter guys as well as kayakers.

You don't want to be driven off a good bite you worked hard to find.

And always we want to be positive and get along with each other. Name calling, baiting, and negative attitudes will not be tolerated. The following site rules are always in effect:

http://www.stripersonline.com/a/guidelines-and-rules