Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Guidelines for posting reports in the Yak forum discussion thread.

44 posts in this topic

This forum has become very negative in the past few weeks, something is going to be done about it.

It seems that most of the problem stems from report posts - please look over this thread, especially page #5

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/892362/friday-16-00-raritan-bay-keyport/60

With the explosion in the number of kayakers it seems some guidelines might be in order.

Make a reports thread, but just like the regional forums, use general locations, 5 miles is a good place to start. You could say "I was fishing NoMoCo this morning and got a few bass. " I don't see this being an issue even with the large amounts of areas covered, because people who live in Jersey know what he is talking about. What does it matter if someone from the gulf of Mexico doesn't know where North Monmouth is? He isn't going to fish there anyways..

I've been thinking hard about this. The problem becomes very difficult for the moderators, this is a national forum, not just NJ.

No one person can know what constitutes an overly specific post when you're talking about an area 2500 miles long, and that's just the east coast. We'd need 15 moderators in here to be able to handle that.

I'm thinking we may have to self police the forum.

If someone see's a post that needs to be trimmed down, REPORT IT, also send a PM to the forum moderator, or even to me, or to any admins.

DO NOT ATTACK the person posting, half the time they're new guys who don't yet understand the concept and reason behind it (sooner or later they'll burn themselves and the light bulb will go off)

The target here is to be helpful. If you have an issue with something someone says, explain your position, but do it in a positive way, don't be the attacker.

"Yes I understand what you're saying but this is a possible outcome.............. " not " Hey ###hole, what are you stupid?"

Report it. If the other person is acting like a Summers Eve bag the moderators will take care of it.

There's going to be a housecleaning, it's coming. Don't be one of the people who get swept out with the trash.

Some of you (and you know who you are ;) ) have problems walking away from fights and perceived insults. It's the internet - don't take it so seriously, just walk away.

It wouldn't hurt to post a sticky with some general guidelines.

I agree, but what are those guidelines ?

I'd like to see you guys come up with something you can all agree on.

We can put them into a post and sticky it. It can be referenced when newbies need explained :th:

Limit reports to either an area of a county - Northern Monmouth, Southern Ocean - or a larger body of water - Raritan Bay, Barnegat Bay, Jamaica Bay, and so on. That should be enough to make anyone happy without concentrating attention.

It would also keep us on equal footing with the other forums. If I am more specific and post a more exact location it will cause problems here AND on the surf casters regional forum since it often is the same area.

You could just say whatever region you are posting about, look at the guidelines for the regional forum there. Don't re-invent the wheel.

Hope that helps!

Like this ?

Eastern Raritan bay

Western Raritan Bay

Northern Barnegate bay

Southern Barnegate bay

How do we deal with HUGE places like Delaware bay and the Chesapeake ? And i don't even know what's below that.

I'm thinking we should start with a reports thread. All reports should go there.

The guidelines post can basically just say not to be so specific as to draw a crowd.

We can figure the rest out as we go.

?????

I'm thinking we should start with a reports thread. All reports should go there.

We can figure the rest out as we go.

?????

I like this as a starting point. Simple and to the point. We'll figure out the specifics as we go and build from there.

All I was thinking was adding a general post that says, try not to be too specific with reports. Honestly, it has not been a huge problem here. A gentle nudge might keep us out of hot water for a long time.

The problem is most kayakers tend to park where they can launch close to their car. Can you blame us for not wanting to drag an 80lb outback over 100 yards of soft sand? The next deciding factor for some can be getting shelter from the wind. If we all think alike or at least somewhat similar in a post Sandy access world it can cause problems.

I vote for keeping it vague.

Examples:

Jamaica Bay

Raritain Bay

Out front in NoMoCo

I would say just set a rule of no reports in an equipment specific forum. There are report threads in each regional forum and those report threads are sufficient for surf, boats, and kayaks. No reason for kayak specific reports.

[Oops - didn't edit anything just hit the edit button instead of the quote button ~ Sudsy]

I would say just set a rule of no reports in an equipment specific forum. There are report threads in each regional forum and those report threads are sufficient for surf, boats, and kayaks. No reason for kayak specific reports.

That was kind of my suggestion too, although yours is even better. If someone reports here, just delete it and tell them, wrong forum. No big hardship on anybody.

That was kind of my suggestion too, although yours is even better. If someone reports here, just delete it and tell them, wrong forum. No big hardship on anybody.

LOL, do you really want a bunch of kayakers posting that they had nonstop 10-20lb bass on artificials just out of wading range while those guys on foot strugled to get anything?

Just think about it for a minute.

Those guys will all sell their CTS and ZB and buy yellow hobies. You hate those don't you Ross?

Perhaps the enforcement of the spot burning rule would have to be less of a moderator-proactive job and more of a community feedback thing. If a report comes in more likely than not someone's being impacted. In NJ there are some places so far South I've never heard of them, but have received reports on those spots with a quick explanation of how it is a spot burn. In my mind if at least one guy is going to be inconvenienced by the over broadcasting of a specific location then it's a spot burn.

To start I would suggest a reports thread. Right now everyone with a report or pictures creates a new thread. Having a reports only thread reduces clutter and allows for easier moderating. As to how a spot-burning rule should be formulated, perhaps restricting to county (mainly for Ocean Side references) or body of water can work. For instance some popular bodies of water to serve as examples: Raritan Bay North (Staten Island), Raritan Bay South (NJ), Western LI Sound, North Fork, South Shore, Upper Delaware Bay, Lower Delaware, Upper Chesapeake Bay, Lower Chesapeake Bay et. al.

Some exerpt from a mod discussion... Pretty much what Sudsy is suggesting. The more input you guys give the better.

My only fear is that if you leave it completely up to the moderators here, it will be too subjective. Nobody will be treated the same. They are only human! More specific rules are not a bad idea for that reason. Fair is fair.