Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JPL

Rivet Gun quagmire

10 posts in this topic

Does any one use them on their baby! Any suggestions on models if you do?

I have to modify an adjustable seat that was included with the OK Ambush I purchased recently. I want to make the seat a storage(stowage?) location and I need to learn how to use a jig saw(actually have had minimal experience with this one) and a rivet gun. These are suggestions for tools provided by Ocean Kayak themselves, who sell the separate hatch for this modification.

Thanks!

JP see ya shoulda bought a Cobra from barrell. he gave pop rivet & filing lessons, installed all the cleats, hatches, bungy, pole holders for the price of dunkin donuts coffee. and whats an artsy type like you doin with a 100lb yak? you gonna paint a hottie mural on the side of it or what? how you gonna lug that 16ft banana thru the quag? bring it to the fling will ya, this I gotta see biggrin.gif

Hey water weasel! I sent barrel a private, actually apologizing/ I know I'm missing out on the expertise that goes along with the sale- although I've garnered a lot from his site/posts. It was a pressure buy for me on a reduced price blem model- two other customers were interested/observing it/picking it up by the handles, when I came back to look at it a second time. I had to go with it with the following in mind.

1) The price and to frankly beat out anyone else.

2) I want a 2-cycle 2 hp motor on a kayak (even barrel says I'm in a select minority!) and this thing's hull can support anything you can attach. I've attached a sailboat motor mount to the stern/I'm trying next to attach rod holders.

3) You can't tip this thing (safety issues considered) and I want to go out/teach my kids the sport of kings.

4) It can handle 800 lbs and it's got an ample recessed "deck" for the 50 lb'ers I anticipate catching. It can also sport the cinder blocks I'm going to rope to my mo-in-law when I throw her over (just kidding hatman).

5) It's fun going to Home Depot with Jon's advice/ I'm making a home-made, 10" air filled tire, trolley for it.

6) I can fantasize about painting a hottie mural on the hull (these is B-17 of a kayak, how appropriate!). But this boat is kiddy boat too.

You're right, it's a heavy water slug of polyethylene!

When I installed my hatches and rod holders I used a cheep rivet gun from Walmart. You should use Cherry (I think that's the name) rivets like Barrell uses. They are stronger and don't rust. I also put Aquaseal around and through the hole when I pop'ed the rivets. You can use a file or Dremmel to smooth over the cut off rivet.

When you fit the hatch to the cut out hole, line up the handle so that it is pointed the way you like it. (I have mine all in the center line of the yak) That makes for less fumbelling when you are closing the hatch in a hurry.

Also don't expect the hatch to be completely waterproof. I've read where the Yak has to breath slightly or it could pop like a baloon.

JPL, The chery rivets sre not optional. They are the only ones that will work. And not just regular cherry you need the patended aircraft style because they expnd into a 3/4 inch molly bolt. Any other rivet will pull out. If You cant find any call the shop and Sue will mail them to you ($1 apiece) Im leaving for the keys at 4am so dont email me I wont get it for over a week. The cheapest true value rivet gun seems to work the best.

Barrell

the pearls are a droppin', thanks barrell and have a good time! ( you had to tell us you were going to the keys in the midst of this oppressive, unforgiving, dysphoric, mentally pulverizing winter...have fun...no really...I'm not sore...no, really)

[This message has been edited by JPL (edited 03-08-2001).]