Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bayfly

Cape May - Where to Fish?

6 posts in this topic

I had posted this question before but didn't get much response, so I am reposting. I will be traveling to Cape May, NJ for my sisters wedding, September 6th-8th. I was considering bringing the fly rod and yak to do some fishing.

I fish the Chesapeake Bay area and am not familiar with this area so I was hoping some fellow yakkers might offer some suggestions.

Suggestions on where to fish? (I don't mind paddling and will keep your spot secret)

Where to launch?

What is running?

How is the fishing now?

I will be travelling for the week down from Maine, through, Cape Cod, Nantucket, and on to Cape May. I may try to do a couple of quick trips in these areas if I can get away from the girlfriend for a few hours in the early morning, so I would also be interested in inof. on these areas.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Chris

havent been down there in a few years but go to stone harbor. Its abotu 25 min away, all you have to do is drive through wildwood and its right there. Go over the drawbridge and pull off immediately. You can launch right there. Ive fished there and always have had plenty of action. Its a marshy area which should provide you with plenty of fly fishing action.

Good Luck and tight lines

tom

Bayfly, follow Hoplite direction but when your go over the draw bridge (toll bridge) continue on about one mile to the free bridge. Pull off the road to the left. Great place to put in. Very deep water. The water drops off to 25-30ft. Go under the bridge and fish the sod banks. The bank on the Wildwood side is about 12ft of water the entire length. If you cross over to the other side there is a large flat. It is about 3ft of water and is a good spot to wade fish. This is a great spot to fish early morning or evening.

Bayfly, follow Hoplite direction but when your go over the draw bridge (toll bridge) continue on about one mile to the free bridge. Pull off the road to the left. Great place to put in. Very deep water. The water drops off to 25-30ft. Go under the bridge and fish the sod banks. The bank on the Wildwood side is about 12ft of water the entire length. If you cross over to the other side there is a large flat. It is about 3ft of water and is a good spot to wade fish. This is a great spot to fish early morning or evening.

How is this spot further down, I need to try there when i travel there next spring. The place i am referring to, had a pier on the right side of the bridge before you crossed over onto the stone harbor side, where i then fished on the opposite side of the bridge. I was catching blues on plugs and bucktails all day and night there. Definetly one of the best spots around there. Never had any real luck off of the beach there except for a few small stray blues which took a long time to find.

Hoplite, I fish the left side on the SH side all the time. You are right is is a great spot to fish from shore. I have caught some nice weaks and bass there. I spot about a mile down (free bridge) is a great spot to yak. Plug the bank with top water plugs. good luck...Chuck