Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Cobra Kayaks

19 posts in this topic

Hi All-

Let me just start by stating that I am not "officially" involved with what seems to be an amazing way to fish, but I am anticipating that my time will come...hopefully sooner rather than later. (Like within the next year) wink.gif

Having searched some older posts and done some web searches on a few of the companies suggested, I have a general question regarding the Cobra Kayaks.

I know JonS had (has?) a Cobra Explorer, which looks to be a great yak. I also notice they also have a model called the "Fish and Dive" (or something to that effect). Any pros/cons as to the major differences between these two? The fish and dive is a bit longer and heavier (17lbs), in addition to being more expensive. That's all my inexperienced eye can gleam from the site!!

Do retailers routinely make the option available to "test drive" one of their products before purchasing?

OK, I should also probably mention that I am 5'8", 162#, 31" inseem (yeah, I know, A GIANT!). I would idelly like to find a yak as univerally applicable to both fresh and saltwater as possible, but if this isn't possible, the saltwater gets the nod over the freash any day of the week (and twice on Sunday).

The saltwater (99.5% of my fishing) fishing I wold like to pursue would be typical back bay/tidal creeks, etc. Out-of-the way places that I can't wade to, but are mostly inaccessible from a larger boat.

The vast majority of my fishing will be done from the South Shore of LI for the next two years (until I get out of school). With that said, I am also on a somewhat constricted budget, so there is an "upper-limit" that I would like to not exceede.

This is a great forum, and I always make it a point to check in learn as much as possible. Thanks in advance for the help. Please let me know if there are any other pieces of information that I should make known to help get the best advice possible!

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

You should come to the flats fling and test out some kayaks... some people have extra yaks they are willing to bring for someone to use and you will definatly get all the answers to your questions plus alot more.

Yeah, what he said. wink.gif

Let mit hit on a couple more points...

If you can't test paddle a dealers boats, find another dealer. No joke. This is a serious point and warrants consideration. I would never buy a kayak without extensive test paddling in the conditions I anticipate paddling/fishing in.

Cobra? Nice boats and there are certainly a lot of people on the East Coast that fish them. However, you should also consider several other manufacturers such as Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, Necky, and others I'm sure I've forgotten. By far the most popular boat on the Left Coast is the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW ("Tankwell"). This is for very good reasons but some of those reasons have to do with conditions that they regularly paddle in that you/we may not face.

Hopefully we'll see you on the water.

Chris

The other important factor seperating the F&D from the Explorer is the width. The F&D has a 36" width and a 12'6" length. The Explorer is 11'3" in length and 31" in width I think. I am a bit taller and have a 34" inseam, so I decided to get the Navigator. It has a longer cockpit than the Explorer, is 12'6" long and 31" wide, and is better suited for taller anglers. While I've never paddled an F&D, I understand they are a bit slower than the Navigator or Explorer. If you plan to cover long distances, that might be a consideration.

Great information so far guys! I appreciate all the insight.

I agree, I definately want to test drive a kayak before purchsing...it's a heafty investment (on a student's budgetwink.gif ) so I want to make sure I shell out $$ for something I am comfortable in.

I found a great web page that has many kayak companies listed with the links to their sites. I have gone through (quickly--as I have an exam tomorrow!) the Cobra site and the Wilderness site. Man, they are all good looking ships!

Once again, I look forward to hearing and learning alot more from all of you before I take that first step.

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

FWIW, there are still some great deals on Cobra kayaks out there. I just picked up a 2001 Navigator demo boat for $385.00 and got lots of extras for 50% off. Find a shop that does rentals of teaches classes and you could find a great deal on a slightly used boat!

Yeah with what everybody else said, but check out a perception swing too. slightly longer, handles beautifully and have used it to surf as well as fish. Very nice boat. My opinion. Definitley find a place that'll let you paddle. Or show up at a big kayak event and I'm sure everyone will let you take a paddle. Scott

ScottO-

Can you recommend any shops around the Albany area that carry some of the more popular yaks? If I remember correctly, you are somewhat closer to where I am than da Joisey boys.... biggrin.gif

PS. I would love to chek out the yak fling, but can't get away from school during that time. frown.gif

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

I have been waiting unitl I could jump in this so I to have done my homework. I like safety first! The FnD was my choice because of the safey issue....stable to fish out of. JonS and others on the board have brought to light the choices and I went with the FnD because the word "klutz" is in the back of my mind. I have been known to do some really stupid things in the name of fishing but now that I'm older (and healing at slower rate) the safety thing is high on my list. I'm a beach fisherman and always will be, surf fishing is a way of life for me but kayaks will bring me to other beaches to fish and flats just off shore. Can't wait unitl the April, that is my delivery date (there abouts). Check out the thread by Porter....newbie heaven! In the old days this is how things were...help was easy to get.

saltyh20fly-

Indeed, the FnD looks to be a sweet boat! I was immediately drawn to both the Explorer and the FnD once I got to the Cobera website.

I'm going to be doing my best to research this as much as possible. Budget considerations (unfortunately) are going to be an important factor. Not so much as to skip out on overall quality, but getting the "best bang for my buck" takes on special significance when you don't have "a real job"! wink.gif

I'm already having fun with this, and I haven't stepped foot in a yak yet! icon14.gif

------------------

Joe

Stranded in Albany

GO NAVY

JoeB,

I'm a little bigger than you(5'10"/175#).

I found the Navigator to track just a bit tighter than the Explorer.

I've got good upper body strength and can really haul on the paddle strokes.

The Exp. moved from side to side when I demo'ed it.

You might want to put your butt into a Nav also before making a decision.

IMHO!

DASBOOT

I paddle an Explorer. I like it. I'm 6'1" and go about 190. My legs arn't too long so it fits me pretty well. Haven't paddled too many other yaks, I jumped in head first and bought the Explorer.

MikeC

Saltyh20fly quote:

I have been known to do some really stupid things in the name of fishing but now that I'm older (and healing at slower rate) the safety thing is high on my list.

Jack please don't give us the older and wiser routine cause your still and always will be a wild and crazy guy. You must be your buying a kayak right!

JoeB I think the Cobra Fish n Dive is just way to big for you. Its made for a bigger taller heavier body type.

FLYRODDER...you got me! Older but not that much wiser, still have been known to be on a jetty with some questionable weather. We'll we doing some trips this year, I've got two places we just gotta try out EAST. This is gonna be great!

The best advice given so far is too test ride the yaks. Then you will know for sure. I was under the impression the FnD was some ungodly big craft. After paddling it and the Explorer I knew without a doubt I wanted the FnD. Before the test ride I was sure I'd go with the Explorer. I'm by no means a big guy, about 5'10" 175-180.

------------------

yueng.gifneeds_a_shave.gif