Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

First Albie from the yak

8 posts in this topic

I also caught my first surf albies (had caught many years ago via boat)but never from the sand before. First time I ever targeted them. When they moved off the beach a bit I decided that the yak needed christening. The mornings north wind had subsided and it was beautiful so I took the yak out and got one on a freshwater spinner. It was quite a fight on the little 5 1/2 rod. Had 2 others on briefly but they got off pretty quickly. The schools were very scattered and nobody did well so I didn't take the fly rod out.

Congratulations Jon, that must have been a nice fight from the yak on the light gear. I'm gonna have to launch in the surf soon, sounds like I'm missing all the fun. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

That little albie kicked my butt. When it started its circles I was glead that my yak was only 11'. I'm not going to use such a short rod next time. I think 6 1/2 to 7 will be much better.

Hey Jon - glad to hear you nailed some albies! Just back from the Vineyard - slow week there but enough albies/bass to make it fun.

About the rod length: I've always had the most fun with the albies with my 5.5' Ugly Stick, I use power pro, and tie flouro directly too it. It's only my opinion but I think you should stick with a short rod out there if you are firing off alot of casts (around the bridges, to blues or albies, etc.), save the longer rods for livelining etc. For me, casting the longer rods, especially the ones with longer butt sections, gets tiresome, and unwieldy while sitting in the yak. (if you were standing on a jetty or beach, it would be a different story). To me, an Ugly Stick is perfect for the yak: it's cheap (in case you lose it), bends tip to tip if needed(let's you reach fish easier), and, I guess along the same lines - they can really take the punishment. People might be concerned that it takes too long to get an albie in with such gear, and you risk killing the fish, but with the right line, you can put the pressure needed to whip the fish with plenty to spare for them to swim away at the same speed they came to you (because you can use alot of pressure with an Ugly Stick and it's not likely to break). I've never had one "sink away" from my yak.

Anyhow - sorry we could'nt hook-up last week - maybe this Thursday, the 7th...

John (JC in NJ on ****.com board)

John,

I just fired off an email to you. Which model ugly stick are you using. The rod I used wasn't enough rod for the task considering how small the albie was (4#s or so).

Thursday the 7th is fine to do some fishin'

Congrats JonS, I've caught tons of albies on the fly rod...but never one in the yak...not yet anyway! wink.gif Actually, I haven't even fished outta the yak in the daylight...had it few months now...does that make me weird? redface.gifredface.gif I like the dark...always have...too bad albies don't bite at night, I'd have no reason to yak in the daytime if they did!

Anyway, soon...very soon...I'll get connected to an albie in the yak...one question...how do you steer an albie when he's towin' ya around? wink.gif

Greetings YakJohn, welcome to StripersOnline!

TimS

Tim - since I've only caught one from a yak I can only discus this singular event. However JC has caught over 100 from a yak so hopefully he'll jump in here.

The albie didn't tow me at all. I was quite suprised. I was casting towards the beach and it initially ran in that direction. Then after running off approx. 25 yds. of line it reversed and ran for the sea passing close to the yak. It then proceeded to run off approx. 50 yds. The light rod I had was severly tested and this critter was only about 4#s. I'm sure that a bigger one would have towed me. I was suprised since a cocktail blue will change the direction of the yak and do a little bit of towing.

I fished Sat. night via the yak in Keansburgh looking for Unicorns but things were very quiet. I definately prefer fishng daylight via the yak. I think its more of fishing alone in the dark. If the fish ain't happening it gets old. I'm glad that we're entering the daylight season soon. I'm glad that albies are day fish. I'm hoping that Raritan turns on soon like last year. Me and my yak are gonna have some fun.

JonS,

Yer likely to find more than Unicorns if you keep hangin' round K-Burg after dark! Stay safe out on the bayshore.

I wonder if 4 lbs is the universal size of surf albies? My only experience is boat caught albies, and the classic size was 7 lbs. Biggest was a 12 lber one nice October morn on Augies Lump...