Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JAG

Wilderness Systems - Pungo

13 posts in this topic

Looking into getting a (first) kayak. Have been researching for a couple of months...left it to wintertime...which may have been a mistake, in that it doesn't allow for to much testing time.

However...I am very interest in the Pungo and would like to get some of you kayak sharpies' opinions.

Some info: Height 5'10", Weight 175.

General usage will be fishing in local fresh water rivers & resevoirs, Chesapeake bay rivers (not main stem), and maybe parts of back bays along the Eastern Seaboard. Not interested at this point in venturing out in to the wild blue ocean.

Any opinions on this craft and what modifications for fishing would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

------------------

~~Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder ...

Welcome to the dark, ahem, kayak side. cwm8.gif

As a Chesapeake local kinda guy, I feel it's my civic duty to insist that we gather at the local watering hole of your selection so that we, I mean I, can bombard you with all sorts of useful/less information.

What I mean to say is, assuming that you've done your research, checked archive posts from this board, etc., more advice will likely only confuse the issue. The pungo is a fine choice for the types of waters you describe. Of course, I'm not sure what kind of fisherman you are, but I'd hate to limit myself from the bluewater which the pungo may do (if you can't skirt it, I wouldnt go out in waves over coaming height).

Rigging, hmmm, now there's something to sink your teeth into. Again, I suggest some vile liquid refreshment to stimulate the brain. I'll bring my boat, maybe MM will come along (he needs to get out about now) and we'll ponder the meaning of life.

Chris

Jag,

Crazy Alberto has 2 of them.(He might sell ya one). He likes them for lakes and backwaters, but I don't think it's been "out front". I have been given the task of rigging one for him. I have yet to really get on it yet, but I'll let you know when I have some ideas.

JAG Got one its a great place to start.Very happy with the overall performance of the Pungo.Cant say enough good stuff about it.

I would have to say it one of the best in all catagories for a 11-13 foot sit in yak.Some may say there are better.But I can tell from lots of time in it ,in different conditions its on or near the top.

Speed no problem keepin up with yaks to 14 ft.

Stability is unbelievable.Have to be out of control to flip it.

Tracking is straight as a arrow.Even in wind.It also does not drift very fast,Stays put in the wind.

Cockpit is roomy.I am 6'1" 250 no problems fitting in .Lots of room to stretch out.

Takes on the rough stuff if ya happen to get in it.

Easy to toss around and carry

I also have a WS Tarpon.Just got it for Xmas.Only been out once but its also a great yak.Just fit my need of more speed .Also a little easier to get on/off.

Anything else you want to ask just let me know.

You cant go wrong with a Pungo for what you want to do.

If ya want to surf launch.Ya gotta go SOT.

joev

Pungo owners are very happy with their Pungos. I'm a SOT guy. If you're going to do a bunch of wading on the Ches... flats you may like to have an SOT which is easier to get in and out of.

As I've said/posted numerous times you can't go wrong with getting a popular fishing yak and the Pungo is one of the tops in a sit in among fisherman.

JAG JonS Brings out a good point about wading the flats.Thats why I got my SOT for hopping in and out on some of my favorite shoals.Much easier to do that from a SOT.

joev

Hey OZ -

If Alberto is shedding one of the Pungo's have him post or pm or email.

And I'll be very interested in how you rig his.

Thanks!

------------------

I have a Pungo also.It's a really great kayak.It's very stable,and roomy.I have a half skirt,and a full skirt.I've never been out where I needed the full one.When I rigged it,I pretty much did it the same way they did it on the fishing model they sell already rigged.I did place a few things a little differently.Over all I'm happy with it.

CliffB -

Thanks for the response. Does the half skirt allow you access to the cockpit area when underway?

Got any pics of the yak and jow it is rigged?

Thanks

------------------

Yes it does allow access,while underway.If you get a Wilderness Systems catalog,they show a pungo,rigged out for fishing.They sell it that way,or stripped.The half skirt doesen't stop waves,but it does catch the drips from the paddle,and some spray from getting you wet.

JAG -

I paddled a bunch before choosing a Pungo. Here in Massachusetts, sit-in boats win more users than SOTs--a function of water temp. I've had mine in and around Nantucket in October and definitely needed the full spray skirt. Even the full skirt is zippered for cockpit access.

It ain't the fastest or prettiest, but it tracks like a demon. And it's plenty big to fit you. I've got a couple inches and 40 pounds on you, and it fits me just fine.

I'll echo what others have said. By all means paddle a bunch before choosing. It's like choice of rods. What works for you might be poison for the next guy. Good luck

Broadbill

Jag,

Crazy Alberto has 2 of them.(He might sell ya one). He likes them for lakes and backwaters, but I don't think it's been "out front". I have been given the task of rigging one for him. I have yet to really get on it yet, but I'll let you know when I have some ideas.

Hi Oz and Jag...

Yes, I heart.gif my Pungo and I've tried it "out front" (Fire Island Inlet, Orient Pt. and Montauk) during the top of incoming tide and it's great!

"Crazy" Alberto