Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimA

New yak question

7 posts in this topic

Im sure this has been asked before but I looked and didnt find much so here it goes. Im probably going to get a kayak this spring. I was wondering if I need and official "ocean" kayak or can I get by with a recreational one. I want to use it to fish bays, tidal rivers and sometimes fish rock piles when the surf isnt too rough. I will probably get an Old Town kayak. The have a great sale in the spring, as long as you can get there real early before everything goes because the deals are soo good, everybody fills up truckloads of canoes and kayaks. Thanks for your help guys.

like jd said, the pungo is great...and forgiving. Are the back bay areas you're fishing VERY protected or can the weather turn things on a dime? You're around rocks, how much of the time? There are differnt schools of thought all over the place. Economics and the "sale" speaks powerfully as well. What kind of fishing do you do?

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

SOL # 925

You should read all you can about surf launches. You should ask, read and try before you buy. Be aware of the difference of SIK and SOT kayaks and don't go buy what other people do, it's all boils down to what YOU do.

JD, that would be cool, I didnt even know you had one.

JPL, I wouldnt fish too far from shore so if the weather got bad I could head in quickly. I love to fish the rocks, was thinking I might be able to work some different rock piles from the outside in rather than casting away from the rocks. I guess there is more to this than I thought.