Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmokinJoe

PA Roll Call

8 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Trying to get a bunch of us together for a trip to Nockamixon Lake Oct. 10th for a trip. All and Anyone welcome. Stay tuned for updates.

SmokinJoe, Jim Thorpe. Pa.

Bone Daddy on the KFS website is more familiar then I am as never having fished that lake. The website is www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/nockamixon.aspx

I hope that's all right to post it. I can never remember what board allows what. I know its a little east of Quakertown Pa. Just trying to get anyone interested together.

SmokinJoe

I'd love to go as I'm from delaware county but I'm stuck up here in CT for school frown.gif my only consolation is that i got into the freshwater fishing PE class for 1 credit lol. play a lot of paintball up there smokinjoe?

Hey Romo,

I use to live in Chesire, for about 2 1/2 years. I use to play years ago. Their are a couple of skirmish places within 5 minutes of Jim Thorpe but other hobbies take presidence over that for me anyway.

No problem posting a hyperlink to a State agency, SJ. This website (AND this forum) prohibit links to a COMMERCIAL website. Such a linkage detracts from the impartiality of this forum. Besides, we can hardly give non-advertisers rights that exceed those of those who pay. Being a paid advertiser does NOT give you the right to post a link on a forum!

I'm here too SmokinJoe cool.gif

Ammodyte,

The lake is pretty big and holds hybrid as well as pure Striped Bass, Largemouths, Smallmouths, Chain Pickerel, Tiger Muskie, Channel Cats, Carp, and Walleye, as well as the usual suspects of panfish. The lake sees a lot of pressure these days, but there are still areas that do very well. Outside of the normal issue with fronts, this lake has a habit of shutting down completely some days and lighting up in a big way on others. The chain pickerel are usually on the large size for an eastern PA lake, and they can make a really good day some days. I have a favorite spot(where I went with a few people from KFS this past weekend) that has produced 4 out of the 5 Tiger Muskie I've landed on this lake and almost all of the rest that never made it to the boat. In my opinion and in my experience with fishing this lake; the real key to having a shot at a good day on this lake is getting out there at or before sunrise and working the area methodically in the few hours you have before the boats come in. I've had decent days in late afternoon into evening, but really only in the dead of summer.

Like I said, it has its good days and its bad days. However, when it's good, this lake produces some big friggin' fish(two pigs on a day two weeks ago 5 and 5.4 lbs). In my early years fishing this lake, I've used a lot of different baits, but in the last few years, I've only used a few on it, as they work well(in fact, it's my usual that produced this year's Muskie(second actually, but only one landed), as well as a most of the Largemouth Bass that I've taken out of this lake this year). I've been on the lake over 20 times this year and I think I only got skunked one day, or should I say the 4 hours that I was there.

Certain areas of the lake have little or no vegetation and the two extremes of it have vegetation so thick you can walk across it some years. Lots of cover for Bucketmouths and nice ambush areas for toothies.

One thing I have noticed for sure. I've caught more fish in my favorite spot this year with the kayak than all the rest of the years in a bass boat. I suspect that's because some of the fish near the thick cover areas are getting spooked by the trolling motor or slap that the bass boat produced. Not positive about that, but it's the only way I can explain it right now.

[ 09-15-2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Bone Daddy ]