Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Fishing Report 8/14/00

6 posts in this topic

Charlie (Dubs) and myself took JonS on a lil' yakkin' expedition last evening. The place shall remain nameless, just a portion of the Raritan Bay system...much like 1000 other places. wink.gif We got there about 22:00 hours...high tide, barely headed out.

After some hello's and such, we loaded the yaks and hit the water. I admired, in a strange curious manner, JonS sit on top yak. I'm new to yakkin', it's different than my sit in obviously, I made note of the differences that I liked and those I didn't...there's definitely cause for both type yaks, no doubt.

So, we're now yakkin' around...Jon anchors up...I scooted east of him...then north...then west...kinda (inadvertently) went around him. I find a likely spot (yea, like I dunno this areawink.gif) and anchored...Dubs followed suit. First cast, my yellow bunny strip clouser stops dead and I stick something pretty decent...it passes me as it heads up current and comes unbuttoned. No big deal, catching one on the first cast is bad karma anyway biggrin.gif Then the next three casts I land smallish weaks, 14-18"....and let them go. I'm already bored now, I don't mind weaks, but these tiny guys get old fast...and they'd be much more tolerable with some stripers mixed in. We all move around, picking small weaks...occassionally finding a thick pack of them. At one point, my knot comes untied from the clip on my anchor...rope and all...gone! (Didn't pay attention in Boy Scouts?emb.gif) After much adieu, Dubs snags the rop with his anchor...I was trying to catch the rope with a fast sink line and two flies...no luck, but I did catch some nice clam shells and some weeds.

All told, it was a pleasure, nothing of note to report, the biggest weaks were a measly 20-22", mostly 16-18. Dubs had the only fluke...and no stripers cwm14.gif

Till next time.....

TimS

Tim, could you post a recipie/photo for this bunny strip clouser you mention? I was intruiged when i saw mention of it on the front page, and after seeing it mentioned here too, i've gotta know.

Thanks,

Matt

Sure thing Matt,

I'll put that one together and let her rip on the new section of the site we're working on.

The pattern is very simple but very effective so I'll get the recipe together and take some photo's this week. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Matt, it's an easy one. Take a short shanked hook, like a Tiemco 800S or a Mustad 9175, attach clouser eyes (I prefer the black brass ones, they don't break). Just before the bend, put on a rabbit strip, fur facing the point and wrap it on well with the thread. I also put 3 or 4 pieces of flashabou on right after the rabbit, that way the flash is on the bottom. Now I'll attach whatever body material I'm using, let's say it's just more flashabou...I'll attach it right on top of the bunny strip, work the thread to the back of the clouser eyes...then wrap the body material back to the eyes and tie it down. Now work the thread over the eye to just behind the hook eye and whip finish. I'll now take a marker, whateve ever color makes you smile when used in conjunction with whatever color bunny strip you chose, lets say for a yellow bunny strip, I'll grab a brown or olive marker, you'll put a line on the body material that will be riding up when the fly is fished, on the same side of the fly that has the rabbit fur facing up. Now a quick shot of Softex of epoxy on the fly, being careful to get it just a tiny bit on the very beginning of the tail. For Softex, I'll coat the first 1/2" of the tail, it keeps it from tangling...for epoxy, don't get it on the hair beyond the hook bend. Cover the body material with either epoxy or Softex. Add water wink.gif

That's it, hope it helps!

TimS

Hey Ryan,

You won't find softex in a hardware store, it's a fly fishing supply that out on the market now, pretty neat stuff for puting a quick coating on a fly. biggrin.gif

If you don't have the softex or don't want to spend the 5$ than just use the Polymark that you find in the fabric and craft shops for $.99. That will work just fine. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com