Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigLuke

Fly Rod Trolling...which....

14 posts in this topic

line do you guys use most? I plan on using both fly and spin/conventional rods to troll with. From all the posts about the tube and worm I think I have that one figured out...but what about the fly rod? Also any flies in particular that have been the most productive?

------------------

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"

Member #1666

PEACE OUT!!!

I usually troll with a clear int. line. I can then use a regular fly or a sinker (closuer/jiggy). Flies that have good movement are nice. You can also have an LC-13 head along to really get down by putting it in front of your int. Or bring along a separate fast sinking line. I carry a 600 grain with me.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

joev- isn't a tube'n worm a real heavy lure about 24 in long with an integrated sinker?

How do you troll one of those with a flyrod-

I've been wanting to try flyrodding from the yak also.

Not razzing here but...Why do you wanna use a flyrod to troll?

Wouldn't it be just as easy to use a spinning/casting rod?

I like flyrods,I got a ton of em,but I pretty much use em for casting flys biggrin.gif

Rich,

I figure I can have both the flyrod and the spinner out and see what happens. Just want to do something different...see how it goes.

I'd love to land a monster on the fly rod while trolling...can you imagine the bend in the rod and the fight!!! Maybe I'm just dreaming, but it's fun.

------------------

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"

Member #1666

PEACE OUT!!!

Rich, I'm not sure if I will ever troll a t/w on a fly rod but trolling flyline is different than mono or braid. The flyline will tend to follow your path rather than take the shortest line to the boat. Not uncommon, I know some Canadians who use a section of flyline on salmon sticks with big single action reels to troll small rapalas for lakers. If they can keep the boat on it the line will keep lure right on structure or thermocline.

One reason for trolling a fly rod is when you travel from one spot to another its unproductive not to have an offering in the water. Another is its more fun to catch fish on a fly rod. Then there's the fact that most of the larger fish via the fly in yak fishing seem to come on the troll. Some guys don't spin fish at all.

Rich, nice meeting you the other day at the PAL center (that was you right?).

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

JimW,

I can see the advantage your pointing out,at first I couldn't because I would think a huge ark in the line,like if you were turning direction would cause a bow in the line,but usauly fish are pretty much self hooked when trolling....No?

Sharp hooks are key I think Rich, I'm not quick enough to pick up a rod to set a hook. I think I probably drop more fish because of a poor hhok set trolling. I'm tying some things on circles to see what happens.

Rich You can also control the depth with a sinkingline and some weighted sections depending on the tide / current to get down to the fish.I am hoping this works better than the trolling drails I have been using.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin