Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FLYRODDER

Catching Mako Sharks from a Kayak

29 posts in this topic

Rhino posted this on another site. Looks like it will be a very interesting show to watch. The times posted are west coast times. I'm not sure what time it will show here. Heres the post:

Hey All, just got the call from Mr. Michael Fowlkes of Inside Sport Fishing fame, the Thresher Shark Kayaking Video Episodes are scheduled for you TV viewing pleasure. Fox Sports West, 11:00am Sunday February 24, encore following Tuesday the 26th at 2:30pm. 2nd Episode is on March 3rd Sunday, 11:00am encore is following Tuesday March 5th, 2:30pm. Videos will be on sale at Fred Hall Shows. You know how much fun they are to catch, now watch it for the first time on TV, you might even see yourself! TL Rhino

Gotta add that the Mako is a different species. Threshers have puny teeth, so are fairly safe to kayak-land compared to Mr. Nasty. People have been beheaded, though, by the thresher's blade-like tail, which can be half the length of their bodies. Regardlessly, it should be interesting footage. One fellow got a huge rapala stuck into his face (hospital time) during the filming episodes for this two-part piece, and hope they don't show that footage! It would be bad for the sport. These kayakers were so into being hollywood stars, they could not come up with a knife to cut the guy loose between 7 kayak anglers. The guy dragging the rapala 90 degrees accross this poor fellow's lap was oblivious to what was going on. It was 100# plus line too.There was a pretty big ruckas on the water and it continued and was posted on CKF and Yakfishing afterwords (see archives). Lots of finger pointing and heated debates raged for a week or more. What an extreme sport...

So let me get this straight....

They are all in kayaks and, I'm assuming, they are starting a chum slick to entice the sharks in the area....

Need I say more cwm31.gifcwm31.gif

AnthonyT

"These kayakers were so into being hollywood stars, they could not come up with a knife to cut the guy loose between 7 kayak anglers."

We had knives. It was that one guy who hooked TOmmy whom didn't have any plyers, knives, etc. Those were my messgages griping about that. No one debated the point on the boards. It didn't go back and forth. The guy doesn't even use the boards. I was bitching about how the guy couldn't find free spool. His line wasn't 100lb, it was 50lb. We were looking for Dikes, not knives. Since we were all spread out, it was hard to get the word around. Yes, everyone should have dikes, but for some reason that day, most of the kayak anglers only had needle nose. Even myself forgot mine that day(never again).

"It was 100# plus line too.There was a pretty big ruckas on the water and it continued and was posted on CKF and Yakfishing afterwords (see archives). Lots of finger pointing and heated debates raged for a week or more."

The only ruckas was me bitching about one angler that hooked my buddy. I posted a bunch of messages, and so did some moderators, about the safety concerns that were plagued that incident. I thought if I bitched enough, using the shoot as an example, that it would help the cause. I think it has/will.

Yes, the chin hook incident is in the filming. I believe it was there not just for ratings, but to show how extreme this sport can get. We taught a lot of kayak anglers about safe trolling distances after that.

There will be a back to back showing of part I and part II this coming Sunday on Fox Sports. ON the West Coast it will air at 11:00 am.

One of my hook ups(200lb+) is doing aerials in the background just after Tommy cuts the lure out of his chin. Some cool footage of RHino landing Threshers in his lap from his Kayak.

Be safe out there guys. A vhf handheld, flares, first aid kit, cell phone, extra water, etc; Build your list and stock your yak. You can't be to safe. A yaker was blown out to sea a few months ago. They never found him.

[This message has been edited by jas (edited 03-01-2002).]

Geeezs,

That does it!! JAS has made me out to be a charlatanrolleyes.gif I am selling my ZestII mako rig and getting that twin mast sloop I have been dreaming and braggin' about anyways. Then I am going trout fishing in it.

Sharp1

HappyWave.gif

Maybe I over reacted. I can't stand getting thrown into "groups" or "generalizations". Especially when it came to the Hollywood thing. Or being thrown into a group like the mixed group it was. I'm sure you weren't thinking of me (since we don't know each other) when you made those remarks, so I shouldn't have taken it personal. Since I just saw "part I", the hooking incident, it made everything fresh again. I wanted to club someone down after seeing my fishing buddy get hooked like he did. It was someone trying to run into the middle of the action so he could get filmed. If you see "part I", you'll see the guy being interviewed just after he did it. He says stuff like "this is extreme, this is real, this isn't the WWF"....all this coming from the guy who hooked my buddy.

My fire was rekindled. I didn't mean to take it out on your post.

BTW, Threshers cutting heads off w/ their tail. That's a tall tail (get it). Or were you referring to the Makos? No matter. lol.

TL, Jas

Hey jas,

Welcome to SOL. I understand you must have gotten anxious, reading a post about you and your friends. Maybe sharp1 mixed a couple of details, but it's no big deal.

I don't have anything to do with the running of this board, but I've been around a while and kinda know how things work here. If you want to talk fishing, cool. If you want to bash someone, not so cool.

Obviously you're a guy with some serious yak fishin under his belt and I'm sure everyone would love to hear your views on a lot of topics. Hope you stay around and most of all enjoy yourself.

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 02-28-2002).]

JAS,

I forgot to welcome you to SOL as well. So welcome Sir!

To the SOL'ers:

Be sure to check out JAS's cool new web site on kayak angling out west. He runs his own bulletin board too, and hosts an awesome photo gallery! I utilize his weather links all the time, which are very good indeed.

Http://www.ocean****.com

JAS,

Lastly, the last Mako I landed from my kayak with one hand had two whimpy threshers and a Cobra Fish N Dive in its stomach biggrin.gif

LMAO! I like good sarcasm. And thanks for the welcomes. lol.

Wow.......you've been to the site. Cool. The chin hooked guy owned the domain name(you see him on the site too). I volunteered to learn how to build one in order to post photos, fishing stories, etc; I haven't done much to it since Dec when I put it on line.

I may have struck an intense level there earlier, but I wasn't posting to slam anyone. Just trying to set the record straight in a defensive "cab driver" kind of way. Maybe some trauma still lurks in my brain from that day. That treble brushed my buddy's neck.

If you can only imagine.........wait, you won't have to. You can see it for yourself on FOX Sports.

jas, welcome to SOL. I've been to your site and I believe that I've posted there. Its nice to see other forums/sites that promote this great sport.

We've got a good group of avid fisherman here. Most of us are from MA down to VA with a few posters from other places.

Hey jas, welcome. Thanks for the update on the show.

Can one of you SOL'ers that's coming to the fling tape it for me (I'll pay you for the tape). I had to kill my cable a couple years ago 'cause I was watching too much TV. I don't do well w/ temptation. biggrin.gif

Chris