Off the beach.

I saw tons of birds working heavy off the beach so I tossed in the yak and gave it a go. I ended up about 1 1/2 miles out. The birds were working mostly small blues, but sckools of bunker would come thru and occasionally they would get walloped. I trolled a bit with a big gummy shad and got 2 of them bit in half. I decided to drift fish with bucktails and squid. This got me 2 sand sharks. Not very productive, but fun anyways.

went out in Raritan Bay for the first time in my new yak and trolled some bluefish on a small bomber plug and 1 on metal. The only dumb thing i did and trust me i learned from this was that i saw a pod of bluefish about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile of the beach and the way that they were moving very quickly today i paddled over fast and leaned back abruptly to grab my rod which was in the rod holder behind me and splash i tipped the damn kayak right over into the water. Now i had just practiced flipping the kayak and getting back on while in the lake and even posted my practice session on the board. the two things i could remember was first that Jon said he'd been fishing from a kayak for a few years now and never tipped it and secondly something i said was that it is important to remain calm when getting back into the yak. Now i'm in the water feeling pretty stupid for my hasty mistake, on my first trip out and now i have a little trouble flipping the thing back over. i then remember to remain calm and on the next try i flip it back over. since i did prepare for a situation like this i lost nothing but a pair of pliers i did not have secured on the seat. i continued to fish and caught a bunch more bluefish. Maybe some of you will read this and think thats a dumb thing to have happen but i feel that overall it's a lesson that i will take to heart and try to be more careful the next trip out. all in all a good first day out and one to learn from as well.