Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG1

Spring checklist

11 posts in this topic

In about two months I hope to be wacking 'em on the sod banks. So it's time to get organized. So help me out with the kayaking must haves.

Besides general tackle, I always have with me:

lights: headlamp, a spare handheld & 2

lightsticks just in case

compass

paddle leash

knife

small 1st aid kit

cell phone

water bottle

packable poncho

bug spray & netting

sunblock

What else should a kayaker have with him/her at all times???

sg1, A lifevest preferably inflatable is a must.

Sunglasses for me are a must

If you want to fish and excpect to catch anything a net, lip grip, stringer and pliers might come in handy.

Barrell

Barrel,

I agree that an inflatable is preferable. I switched over from the traditional PFD about four years ago. The comfort factor is a huge plus.

Any other good ideas out there? Some item that would never leave home without??? cwm40.gif

A hat. Keeps the thin spots up top from burnin also helps the sunglasses perform.

Although I've yet to bring one, many folks say you should have a whistle. I also like to have one of those "throw away" cameras somewhere on the boat..just in case. Although, I don't know who'll take the picture redface.gif

Of course if the list gets much longer we could be lookin at a center console. biggrin.gif

I carry a handheld VHF radio. If possible a partner to bail your arse out of a jam. Extra dry clothing and a chamois towel in a dry bag. Hand pump or a sponge for dewatering. Some guys use paddle floats. Some guys also tether themselves to thier yak when alone.Drift sock and anchor with rope and shock cord. etc. etc. etc.

Don't forget to put some fresh batteries in yer portable fishfinder- if you don't have one get one.-- What does everybody do for storing fish you are going to eat?- do you use soft coolers- I have been using plastic bags- with a small block of ice-

I carry a small signalling mirror and a cell-phone in case of emergencies.

I also carry a small portable weather radio, hand-held, just to keepo on top of things if there is a threat of severe weather.