Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FLYRODDER

So far 2002 report

11 posts in this topic

So far this year I have caught a whole lot more fish from the shore than from the kayak. More keeper size stripers more bluefish and more keeper fluke all caught from the shore. Could it be that maybe its because I've been a surfcaster for so long that I fish with a lot more confidence from the shore than from a kayak? I always thought that by having a kayak I would catch even more fish than from the shore but so far that hasn't happened. I hope my bad luck with the yak changes soon.

FLYRODDER you are not alone but my idea of a kayak as always been to make it in addition to shore fishing. Besides you are keen to the shore structure and after fishing this beat for so long you gotta expect a learning curve. I have paddled to other spots, beached the yak and fished from shore...nice. If the fish are just offshore then you have a shot. You how it is in the fall....just a little too far to cast to. Well now they aren't.

saltyh2ofly your absolutely right. Theres been many of fall seasons gone by that the fish were just to far out of everyones casting range to catch. I agree that will be the time when the yak will be used a lot. But I still think by the end of the year my shore fishing catch ratio will still be a lot higher than from the yak.

FLYRODDER-

I agree, though in fairness I have only been out twice in my new kayak. I'd like to think alot of it has to do with experience, confidence (in one's shore spots) and just plain-old getting used to fishing with a new tool.

Additionally, once I start my fishin up again, I KNOW I'll be lurking in the dark around the various inlets looking for some LARGE. And at that point, most likely, the kayak will be home. Sometimes burning the midnight oil during a summer night without the kayak is OK. wink.gif It's all a means to an end.

And a great end at that.

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif

As already pointed out the yak allows you to paddle out to blues and stripers blitzing beyond the range of your casting skills. Beyond that, it also allows you to patrol out in deeper water for albies, little tunny and spanish macks, species rarely taken from the shore. On the bayside the yak gets you onto flats where stripers swim under your boat in 18" of water. These are fish that are neither accessible to surfcasters nor motor boaters. They're yak fish only. So start to think of the yak as a tool to expand your fishing range, putting you on fish that are sometimes not available by any other means. The kayak allows mobile, dynamic and stealth fishing; all you have to do is learn to think and then fish that way. The fish will come; be patient.

I've only fished from the yak this year so far with rather good results.

As for fishing "with confidence!"

What the heck does that mean????

The fish don't give a darn what mood you're in or how confident you feel.

If they are there and you always do your best, you'll catch fish.

I'm ALWAYS confident I'm gonna catch something.

If I wasn't, I wouldn't be out there.

Am I ALWAYS successful?

Of course not.

But, like they say, "It's called fishing, not catching!"

Stiff upper lip, thumbs up, pip pip, hut hut and all that!

Good luck!

This is my first year fishin from the yak. I've made about nine trips and never walked away with nothing. I got a great ride, a little exercise, sun, wind, cold water it was all great. Having the opportunity to get on fish is exciting. Got a lot more than when I was standing on the bank. I'm hunting them now, or so it seems. Thanks to all you board members your insights, and thoughts and opinions add to the experience. This truly is "The Stuff"!

------------------

Fishin is Faith at work

[This message has been edited by titusg (edited 06-18-2002).]

I don't have the saltwater experience, but I have fished more freshwater this year with my yak than all other years combined on shore! And I've caught ALOT more fish from the yak than I have from shore. I'll let ya know how the salt treats me when I get some time in. One thing I do need is a FF for the yak.