Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flyak

Need help buying a PFD

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

My kayak will be here next week or the week after and I need to purchase a PFD. I would like something with bellowing pockets and plenty of room to move. Please let me know what you wear or would recomend. I am 5'10 220# and a little on the portly side...but I'm workin' on that wink.gif. Thanks for the help. -Ed

------------------

flyak

Oops, I posted befor I read the archives icon15.gif . If anyone has anything new to add please feel free. Lotus & SOS seam to be popular, any particular model? -Ed

------------------

flyak

Flyak,

A few months ago, I was in the same boat you are in. Selecting a PFD is a very personal choice, but I mainly searched models from Lotus Designs (www.lotusdesigns.com) and Extrasports (I lost the link... help guys). You need to try on a bunch of them and see what fits you best. I went to the Paddlesports event in Jersey and I was able to try on about 5-6 different PFDs (after having done a lot or research and phone calling) and I was even able to sit in a few yaks with them on to check for comfort. In the end, I bought the Extrasport Retroglide Sabre which cost more that I really wanted to pay, but it was the most comfortable of all the ones I tried. Goodluck.

Definately try before you buy. I say this because I was all set to purchase a more pricey Lotus PFD online, then discovered a kayak outfitter in my area and went there the other day to try out some PFDs. It turned out that I really didn't like the Lotus compared to the others I tried. I wound up with an MTI (model slips my mind at the moment) that I found to be comfortable and about $90 cheaper (it was on sale)!

Gotta love the sale rack!

------------------

Joe

GO NAVY

g0404980.gif