READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO CATCH MORE TAUTOG

Rate this topic

mmarzuq

Hey hows it going, this is my post on this website!

i am constantly hearing stories of people going out and trying to catch tautog without being succesful and one of the first questions i ask them is what kind of rig they are using to target theese fish. Most people will buy expensive black fish rigs or make high low rigs which will work occasionally but lets be serious if you want to go out for a day of fishing im sure you want to catch more than just 1 or 2 extremly vulnerable fish. Tautog are bottom feeders picking off the bottom, so one needs a rig that fulfill the tautogs needs. Presentation is by far the most important factor in catching more tautog. I will have a step by step tutorial to show you a rig that is extremly effective in landing tautog consistently.

Step 1. Take some heavy flourocarbon preferablly 50lb cut yourself a section about 16 inches long. Tie yourself a dropper loop in the middle of the line.

STEP 2: Grab 2 (size 1 octopus hooks) i use gamis, and snell them on to the ends of the dropper loop do one side longer than the other.

Step 3: Take a 2 or 3 ounce sinker and stick it through the loop. Then take another 10 inches of flouro and make yourself a leader and tie it off the existing loop. The reason for the leader is abrasion you dont want to loose a fish because you nicked your line on the wreck or rock your fishing in right ?

That is the final product no ******** beads or wire just purely the best and most effective tautog rig. Please be advised when fishing this rig you want to give slow bounces try not to pick the wieght off the bottom this technique works great and the last tip i can give you is when hooking a crab take off on of the back legs and hook it through the knuckle coming out in the flap in the middle of the abdommen ont he bottom of the crab this will help in keeping the bait on the hook because as we all know theese guys love nipping :) enjoy and tight lines!

I know a few people that are going to be very upset that the cat is out of the bag :laugh:

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Eddiespaghetti with all due respect your opinion is based solely at just looking at the rig do yourself a favor and give this a shot I guarantee you you will land more fish.

Billy bob you could do it that way but toggling if you get hung up and cannot get clear off the wreck then you will loose you're line so i guess it just preference this is just the way I have done it and has worked tremendously.