Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Offshore kayak boat trips?

14 posts in this topic

JonS, Thats where I draw my line. I concede that the west coast kayakers are far more extreme than my limits of sanity will allow me to venture.

Entering the water as a food item in the aquatic food chain is one thing......testing the rules of fight or flight aboard a yak persuing thresher sharks in canyon depth water.....well to this grandfather this activity ventures in the realm of "death wish" activities.

I feel uncomfortable out in the canyon on ships less than 36' in length. Count me out on that trip my friend smile.gif

This offshore thing sounds awsome!

I have thought about it quite often.I just didn't think anyone else would even think about doing it with me.

Lets make this happen.

I will talk to a few charter boat captains,and see if they could possibly mothership for us.(I'm sure this would be a big insurance liability for them)but I know a few personaly.that just might do it.

I dont know where we could just rent a boat that could us fools and our yaks out to where the big game is.but I'm up for anything.

count me in!

Tight lines

Ritch

Jim-the offshor trip I posted about was 50 some miles off-shore to an island where all 25 kayaks fished the kelp and near inshore in depths from 37-97 feet. We did not float the channel between the island and the mainland.

And I understand your concerns too!

If I were to be placed in a situation where I could throw the yak off into a tuna biol-Ithink I would take that ride. I was in the Sea Of Cortez, 2.5 miles offshore with Dennis Spike when he hooked and landed a sizable Sail. That was on the edge of extreme for me. It was intense with that sail jumping around our yaks. Never looked "UP" at a fish before! This mothership trip was not extreme in comparison. Just bass fishing.RL

JonS, Thats where I draw my line. I concede that the west coast kayakers are far more extreme than my limits of sanity will allow me to venture.

Entering the water as a food item in the aquatic food chain is one thing......testing the rules of fight or flight aboard a yak persuing thresher sharks in canyon depth water.....well to this grandfather this activity ventures in the realm of "death wish" activities.

I feel uncomfortable out in the canyon on ships less than 36' in length. Count me out on that trip my friend smile.gif

RL, I saw your pics on your site......and I am VERY impressed with your Horizon FV. I have contacted Hunt and a price sheet is on it's way from his CEO wink.gif

You west coasters would be bored to death with the inshore Yak fishing I do. Mine is mostly going from point A to point B and wade fishing when I get there. Inshore beach access is limited in some locations so the kayak opens a lot of this area to fishing.

Flats especially are a favorite for me. Now looking at topography maps of LaJolla <sp> out there you have some very deep water very close to shore. Thresher sharks are out of this grandfathers league for yak persuit. wink.gif Give me a nice striper or weakfish and I am a happy camper.

RL I take my hat off to you guys to the west.... but I will stay content with paddling from flat to flat or sod bank to sod bank. As I feel returning from the trip to be more important than leaving on the trip. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Keep us informed on you test of the Horizon!

Guys, I wasn't proposing going to the Canyon and fishing tuna. Who knows where one might end up? I'll save that kind of fishing for when I relocate to Baja.

Keeping track of several kayakers, who could be towed significant distances, would be a nightmare a boat Captain would be insane to take on. I agree that either wrecks or possibly fishing the lumps for bonita and falsies might be interesting. We have very different terrain here than the west coast. Their strength is kelp forest and extremely close blue water. We have an inshore fishery with a myriad of bays, inlets backwaters, etc. that they don't have.

Joe, sorry the wife would want to keep the jeep. She likes it almost as much as I do.

JT, it's your's, Pam prefers her CLC yak.

Of course, I'll be highly disappointed if y'all don't come along. I repeat, no tuna (yet), just wreck fishing, on a calm day.

Chris

I don't think it is realistic to do this type of trip, I caught false albacore at Montauk this past fall and I was towed around. I can't imagine with a larger tuna or shark.

rudy

Rudy, it's not only realistic, but the folks on the left coast do it all the time. I was in SoCal last summer and hired a yakfishing guide in LaJolla to go out for the day and see what their fishery is about. He regularly (in the summertime) gets threshers to over 100 pounds and his goal is to break the 6#-test world record for thresher. While out we spotted some sharks balling up bait on the surface and he took several casts into it with his specially prepared rod (he carries one strictly devoted to the task of breaking the world record), but not before warning me to get outside the radius of his line should he hook one. Unfortunately, he came up empty.

Spike (of CKF fame) got a sailfish in the past year from his yak. Took him many hours to get it over his lap, but he did it and has dozens of witnesses and pictures to back up the story.

All it takes is time to climb the learning curve, which is why I want to start with a relatively tame wreck trip. Surely some more of you guys could pull up some 10# to 40# fish off the bottom? cwm31.gif

Come on JonS, if they don't readily volunteer, we can goad them into it right? rolleyes.gif

Chris