Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manowar669

Finally bought first yak, planning virgin launch on Sunday

9 posts in this topic

Well, I bought a new Explorer. I'm planning my virgin launch on Sunday at a local freshwater lake to get the feel of the boat and do some fishing. Somebody on here is real close to me, I live in East York, PA. If you're the one, and you wanna meet and give a real newbie some pointers, post a follow up. I'll post a report with some newbie impressions afterward. Thanks to all for info and answers to my newbie questions.

Hey MOW! smile.gif

I was planning on hitting Octarara Res. off rt. 472 this Sunday. I think there will be 3 of us so far and your welcome to join us. I've just got to check to see if they alow yaks yet. Was there the end of May and they didn't alow yaks on the lake then, but he owner said he's changing that and we will definatly be able by mid June. I'll call him this morning and post a definate. This res. is a no motor lake, so boat traffic is minimal.

dick

MOW,

Octarara lake is open to kayaks! It's a great lake for bass, crappie and large cats. I will be there Sunday with at least 2 others. Your welcome to join us if you wish. I will PM my cell number. If you can't respond on this thread before 4pm today, just give me a ring. Leave a message if I don't pick up. Hope you can make it.

Dick

Dick,

I wanna meet you guys. Didn't get the PM or cell number. I got a map for the octarara res. south of quarryville, at mt. vernon right? Just let me know time table, and where and when you are putting in. email me at my reg email at manowar669@hotmail.com. I have to work Sat. noon till 6pm. I will check this string at work Sat. Looking forward to it. Sorry for the late reply, been workin lots of hours at the hospital.

Kurt

View PostHey MOW! smile.gif

I was planning on hitting Octarara Res. off rt. 472 this Sunday. I think there will be 3 of us so far and your welcome to join us. I've just got to check to see if they alow yaks yet. Was there the end of May and they didn't alow yaks on the lake then, but he owner said he's changing that and we will definatly be able by mid June. I'll call him this morning and post a definate. This res. is a no motor lake, so boat traffic is minimal.

dick

I am a newbe yakker with a Wilderness Pungo 120. I've been going to Marsh Creek, but am interested in Octorara Lake as well. Is there free access?

I am replying to a message that is about a month old...but that is better than replying to the original one that is 5 yrs old!

I have had my kayak on Octoraro Resovoir a few times this year. (I just got it in the spring.). It was a great place to get some practice in and learn how to paddle. They don't allow boats with anything other than human or electric power...so there is no chance in getting rundown.

Supposedly the crappie are supposed to be great there....but this year has been a tough year. I do know that people pull bass and catfish out of there on a regular basis. It is a nice quiet place to kayak around.

It costs something like $4 to launch there. It opens near sunrise and closes near sunset. They publish the times you must be off the water. It is actually the Chester County Water Authority or something that owns and manages the lake.

I think I need to stop by again soon and see what it going on. I think they have drawn it down a bit to do dam repairs or something.

Keith