Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfish

Heritage Osprey

6 posts in this topic

I've been lurking about this site for weeks now wanting to pick-up a used yak. I now have line on a very reasonbly priced Heritage Osprey. Any comments on this boat's suitability as a fishing platform?

Jay

Thanks for the advise. I ended up spending a little more money and getting a pristine used Cobra Navigator instead. I liked the layout better plus it just looked more stable though maybe slower. It seems dumb to buy a yak without first trying it out, so I hope I haven't made a mistake. I'll have the Navigator in the water at Hatteras next week (weather permitting)so I should find out soon enough.

The Nav makes a good fishing kayak. Its light, very fishing friendly and great storage. Its the tippiest of the Cobras but still has good stability. You've made a good choice as there are a lot of people looking for used Navs.

I passed up a great deal on one just this spring. Was set to buy it ( based on design/specs) until I test paddled. It felt VERY tippy. To much so for me to concentrate on flyfishing anyway. ( Had good secondary stability but poor initial stability IMO) It would certainly take some getting used to. Surprisingly not realy much faster than my pungo either ( which is what I wanted).Check out the reviews @ www.******* and definatly TRY before you buy.