Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skywalker

Nets?

6 posts in this topic

Skywalker, Nets are really not needed on a yak. Depending on the target spieces, a boga grip or small gaff are all thats needed. I carry a small jetty gaff made by the Surfcaster out of New England. I only carry this in waters where I expect to tangle with large Blues. As far as stripers and Weakfish, I found from experience that the safest way to bring one in is to grab it by the lip and slide it up the hull. Don't try to straight arm a medium to large Striper, I almost rolled my yak with a 15-20#er in the spring while fishing with Porter. The biggest thing to keep in mind, keep an eye on the hooks, you have no way to get out of the way of a flailing fish, so make sure you have it under control before bring it onboard.

Good Luck,

Bob "Mullet" Miller

I use to carry a small hand gaff, but now I carry a Berkley Lip Gripper. Its similar to a Boga but it doesn't have a scale built into it. Also they retail for $35. A bunch of us in the NY metro area have been using them on the Big Blues we've been catching and they work great. I've attached mine to a telephone cable typer paddle leash. That way if the thrashes and causes me to loosw my grip its still attached to the yak and there's shock absorption so it can't affect the yak to much.

Remove all but the back hook on plugs for safety. If the plug has small hooks upgrade the back one to a larger size. Then simply grab the plug to safely land any fish.

Barrell