Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

A rare treat. Smoked salmon belly

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

you wouldn't believe how many chefs throw salmon bellies away when cleaning salmon in restaurants. I always try to save them to do literally anything with

The belly is the best part of most fish. Nearby I have a fish market that sells swordfish chunks for about $5 less per pound. It is off the belly and to me its the best part and for much less than the steaks!

Thanks guys. ;)

This stuff was so easy to make. Basic brine overnight. Brown sugar, salt, black pepper, soy, water, in the refrigerator. This AM, washed bellies, towel off, then air dried. Brushed with maply syrup, cracked black pepper. In the smoker, 175-200* for 2 hours.

Looks yummy, do you use any alcohol in your marinade. I use bourbon.

Thanks HFG.

No, I don't use any alcohol. Just the basic as above. I use seasoned white oak BTW. But this stuff is so rich. Great blended with cream cheese over a toasted bagel. ;)

Hi I remember growing up in a very heavily Jewish neighborhood in the Bronx in the '30s. There were stores in neighborhoods then that catered to selling smoked fish, pickles etc and were called "Appetizing Stores". They always had, what was then (maybe still is) called "Belly Lox" It was the cheapest of all the smoked fish and was the belly of the Pacific Salmon. The most expensive was "Nova Lox". it was from wild Atlantic Salmon. In some stores it was more expensive than even the smoked Sturgeon they always featured. It was a little fattier than the regular smoked salmon and a hell of a lot saltier. However in those days of the Great Depression, people watched the"buck" very carefully. I can still remember the people from 198th St vicinity in the Bronx, asking for a "half a quarter of belly Lox (2 oz). Long, long time ago, but fond memories. Anyway that's how it was 80 yrs ago, in the Fordham section of the Bronx, CaseyGhee