Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Faceoff

Hobie Quest Fisherman?

9 posts in this topic

I went to Paddle Sport tonight to take another look at the Tarpon 120/140. I had demo'ed a 120 last September and really liked it. I wanted to take a last look at it and see what the show price was......

Then I came across the Hobie Quest Fisherman at the show. Although I have not paddled it, the comfort, layout, and quality feel really blew me away. It's a few bucks more then the Tarpon but seems worth it considering the cart, rod holders (3), seat cushion, and paddle that is included. Needless to say I postponed purchasing the Tarpon until I get a chance to paddle the Quest.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hobie Quest? How is the stability compared with similar yaks?

Thanks and looking forward to joining some of you for some Spring/Summer paddling.

Not yet but I will be paddling it soon. I am a dealer and the rep is suposed to come by with it for me to try when it warms up. Im pretty hooked on the the foot propeled outback and dont think any paddle kayak could ever get me to go back to paddling again. Im realy dying to get on the sport (smaller outback)if it is stable and floats me well I think it should handle the tight spots I fish even better than the outback.

barrell

Thanks for the reply Barrel. Is this the first year Hobie is making the Quest? That would explain the minimal information and lack of personal experience with this model.

I understand the appeal of foot propulsion, but for me I love paddling. I've been paddling sit-ins for years on rivers and whitewater. For now I'm sticking with arm power.

The more I look into the Quest the more I like it. I'm looking forward to a side by side demo of the T120 and Quest. Actually the T140 is more of a closer match to the Quest, however at 14 feet its not an option due to storage limitations. The Quest just makes it at 13'6".

I took out the new Outback yesterday. Awesome to fish in compared to my old SOT paddler. Arms free, leg power vs arms really helped getting back in the wind too. I'm convinced and happy to have made the switch. Now, if I could just catch that first Striper of the year...

D.J.

Barrell who makes the foot propelled Outback?

I have an Edy & Duff Glouscester Gull rowing dory I am considering selling and thinking of parlaying the funds into a fishing yak. I like the idea of foot propelled as my right shoulder is bothering me from too many years of surfing. Foot power might be a better option nevermind the added benefits of hands free casting.

Barrell,

I am a old sea kayaker and I'm thinking about unloading my Folboat and getting a Hobie Ambush.My concern is the performance of a 12' Kayak. I know it's not my Sealoution but isn't that short even for a fishing kayak?

SB, 12 foot is acutally a pretty reasonalbe size for an all around yak. If there is an option for a rudder, take it as it will definitely help with steering. But a yak like the Tarpon 120 handles very well. the Swing tracks very well and moved well. Also the Prowler is getting good paddeling reviews at 13 ft. Scott

SB, 12 foot is acutally a pretty reasonalbe size for an all around yak. If there is an option for a rudder, take it as it will definitely help with steering. But a yak like the Tarpon 120 handles very well. the Swing tracks very well and moved well. Also the Prowler is getting good paddeling reviews at 13 ft. Scott

Thanks Scott I'm just used to long boats when Sea Kayaking.