Landin' the big'ins?

I am curious as to peoples methods for landing the big pelagics which also have canine teeth? confused.gif For example having a spanish mackreal thrashing around near your tippy toes may see one or all of those little piggies vanish! icon25.gif

I am also curious as to peoples opinions as to bleeding these catches when half a mile out?

I have read one article where a fella gaffed a mackreal carefully thru the gills and out the mouth so as not to stress the fish then with his other hand grabbed the tail. He did not bleed the fish, but waited 3-4 minutes for the fish to come into a 'transe'. Then l guess he stored it under some bungie cord on the bow. I am guessing he did not want to bleed the fish.

I think my prefered option would be to clip the fish thru the gills, out the mouth and tow it to shore where l could fillet and ice.

Please provide me with some ideas it would be greatly appreciated. smile.gificon14.gif . Could you also give me thoughts on bleeding and storing your catches. Thanks.

Have a look at "fishingnoosa.com". Most of us here don't get too many shots at big pelagics.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I personally dont like to gaff or bleed fish on a yak. Here in Monterey I don't like leaving a blood trail. Call me paranoid but a big blood trail in a little kayak in waters that without a doubt have these little guys called great whites dont mix. eek.gif