Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltatrix

Tether everything! Including yourself?

13 posts in this topic

Just took the new necky dolphin out into the surf for the first time. It is much less surf stable than my cobra tourer. Main concern is getting dumped by a wave breaking on a sandbar say 75-100 yd offshore and being separated from the yak. To avoid this, is tethering myself to the boat a good idea?

I've wrestled with this question in your situation (offshore) and mine (fast rivers). My knee jerk answer is from playing in the surf (which is different from both situations) and that's NEVER tie yourself to the boat. In the surf, the boat can become a missile and drag you into a situation you could better deal with swimming. Yes, surfers do leash their boards, but they weigh way less then our boats and have considerably less inertia as they pass you and as they fire back at you after stretching the leash. I think I'd apply that same logic to rivers as the boat can go places you might not want to go (under strainers, into holes, etc.) and taking a hint from whitewater folks who don't leash anything. In the open, I think I'd still not want to be lashed to the boat lest you end up looking like Ahab waving goodbye. Big boat sailors hook on in big weather. But when it gets that big out their, I think I'll just go/stay home and watch Roland Martin. Just my cent and a half.

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<

Never tether yourself in the surf.You might end up getting brained by your yak.

I do tether myself in open water with a surf leash when it is really windy though.If you fall off, the kayak drifts away a about three times the speed that you can swim.

Doug M

Surfing big water I was nearly done in being dragged under while tethered to my board. I hate to think of what would heve been the result if I was tied to a yak.cwm31.gif

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

I agree with tethering as much gear as you are able to without overly encumbering your ability to operate. I also heed the advice of those who have stated below about the dangers of being tethered to the yak....

Do you have one of the coil paddle leashes?

[i suspect that ****stuff.com carries them]

That has served as the next best thing to tethering to the yak for me on a number of occasions -- something a little easier to get a hold of if you get separated from the yak, but you can let go if you need to or have to.

CS

Thanks for the wise counsel. It's pretty much what I expected. What if I tethered the paddle to the bow? If a wave dumped me offshore, I could then hold onto the paddle (something I do instinctively when I go over) and see immediately if I can wrestle the boat free of the wave; if not I can release it and start swimming (once I relocate both separated shoulders). So is it catch or release?

Did I mention that I tether everything to my boat? I clip my paddle and rod to my anchor positioning line (deckline?). It reduces the restriction of the leash and lets them slide fore and aft. Come to think of it, I pretty much clip anything thats on deck to that line. I also keep at least two teeth (knives) close at hand. One clipped to my vest and the other (you guessed it) is tethered to the boat. I use the cheapest 3" or longer, semi serrated, one-handed locking blade I can find (<$10). Cheap, because I have a reputation to uphold and because they inevitibly dissapear. Both cut 3/4" yacht braid and webbing with ease. I try not to use the one on the vest as they don't seem to hold an edgeas well after they're sharpend. Hey, it ain't easy being cheap smile.gif

paddleleash.jpg

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<

[This message has been edited by Waljojo (edited 05-28-2002).]

Always tether to the bow in waves.Acoiled urethane paddle leash is atached from the center of the shaft to the bow cleat. With a necky dolphin the leash must be extra long. We have them custom made in california for this purpose. Dont use the cheaper bungie in the surf unless You can move as fast as spiderman when the boat comes zipping back.

Barrell

My 2 Cents here.

I'm in favor of tethering myself to the yak in the Salt. OK, wait until your past the surf zone.

I find myself fishing in or near fast currents and rips. My line ensures I'm not separated.

Thanks

Sorry for the double post.

I originally decided to clip myself in on Salt, when I saw how fast my kayak would leave me in a good breeze.

Not many of us can swim as fast as a kayak drifts in a stiff breeze. OK, enough from me on the topic, just my opinion.

Thanks

I would take barrells advice. With the paddle tethered to the bow you should find it will come into the wind and get slowed down quite a bit from dragging the paddle.

I would try to have a partner along in surf.