Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RJohn

Rod Holder -- Where?

6 posts in this topic

I realize that this is somewhat subjective and am aware of the options, right side behind, left side behind, both, box on the back, in front, etc. In otherwords wherever you like. But if you just want one and you had you druthers (or could do it again) where would you put a rod holderand why? Between my legs right in front of the seat isn't too practical as I have a sit inside and it is a recreational so the "front deck" is not easy to reach. I am leaning toward the right side behind option (I'm a righty), it seems like a good place. Your input will be appreciated by me and others setting up their fihing machine!

Thanks,

John

Hey Rudy I would put where you are most comfortable reaching it some people have a hard time twisting in yak to get behind themselves. Is the holder for fishing or holding the rod while you use another rod?

I am gonna mount a rod holder on my pungo right side for trolling and 1 behind seat straight up and down for just transport then I will mount one like the one you have for fly rod to hold rod while fishing or manuvering yak.I waited till I had seen a bunch of rigged yaks and the type fishing that I was going to be doing before I start to drill holes in yak joev

RJohn, I have a Scotty mounted just forward of my "O" hatch.

I own a Cobra Navigator sit on top.

I also have 2 rubber clips, like the type you push your rod into on a party boat, mounted on my left hand side.

At this time I only flyfish, but that may change.

I find myself using the clips more than the holder.

When I change flies, I simply lay the rod diagonally across the yak bow to stern.

When I move to another location, I clip the rod tio the side, out of the way.

I find the Scotty location a bit of a stretch

and seating the rod properly a little awkward.

But I have only tried it twice, so perhaps I haven't mastered the proper technique yet.

RJohn,

I also have the same dilema. I can't figure out where to place the rod holders either. The back is a little too much of a stretch for me and front is also a little far. Right now I just use my seat holders for transport and lay the rod in my lap while fishing, short moves, change lure. etc.etc.etc.

I would love to have a front mount that I could reach. The back are just too awkward for me and hard to keep an eye on when your moving... I'll let you know when I figure mine out

Sorry rjohn got you mixed up with rudy anyway they have a clamp mount that could mount on the side of opening of yak in cabelas thats the one I am ordering I have a pungo and you cant reach front deck joev

Guys, thanks for the thoughts. I have a Santa Cruz and the cockpit is 36" long with the seat right at the back (joev's Pungo has a 55" long cockpit). So the front is a stretch and the back right is a twist, neither real comfortable. Joev, I may look into the clamp on mount just to try out positions. DB, who makes the rubber mounts? They sound interesting for transport.

Thanks for the info,

John