Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JPL

Motor mounts

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any advice on a particular approach to mounting electric motors (pros, cons for bays), handling, rigging for battery mounts, off the shelf items, etc.?

BTW, berrell's piece on everything fishing as related to kayaks is excellent. Maybe the above will be answered at the AC Boat Show(?).

JPL, the yak I selected was already rigged for this application...one of its many selling points for me....I run a 46lb thrust saltwater rated trolling motor on mine. With a solar powered trickle charger on top of the battery box to extent my range.

Maybe others here will be able to help with your alteration.

Thanks Jim DE/ the solar powered trickle charger is quite intriguing. Do you use your motor to negotiate location more (pt. a to b) or for things like handling the wind when it is against the tide direction?

JPL,

If you have a cobra they make a aluminum mount that fits inside the well. It is designed for the fish and dive but should work on any boat with a well in the back. Since trolling motors are not that haevy, you should be able to use good hardwood like oak,ash,teak,or mahoghony. I will have a fish and dive rigged with motor at the Atlantic City Sportsman show Jan 26-28.

The biggest negative other than not getting as much excersize is you must register your kayak in N.J. IF IT HAS ANY KIND OF MOTOR INCLUDING ELECTRIC.

BARRELL

Berrell/JonS:

I'm in the market this year for a kayak, likely Cobra or Ocean s-o-t. I've just been immersing myself with advice and literature, so your thoughts are appreciated.

Berrell: thanks for confirming that you will be at AC BS/when you say the mount will fit over the rear well, do you mean the drive shaft passes through the hull/keel area or do you mean side mounted?

JPL....to answer your last question of me would be ...yes! wink.gif I use it anytime I need it. The neet thing is I tighten the motor snug in a straight position so I can still use my paddle when more speed is needed or to steer the yak while moving.

Let me say this as well....I do not use it on the yak when I have to negotiate through a surf higher than 2-3 feet. Reason being is that with motor and battery aboard I would not like the thought of being rolled in a wave.

For estuaries, bays, or the Susquehanna Flats its always on. Kayaking is good exercise but at my age I am out there to fish not exercise wink.gif

As far as registration...most states require registration to any watercraft which is powered with a motor whether gas or electric. I do not know NY requirements though.

My "yak" is a KIWI Kayak Stealth. Its twin hulled and taken on 5' seas like they were nothing. It is very stable for an 11' watercraft.

FYI you can see one at www.kiwikayak.com scroll to kayaks then click on "stealth"

I choose the camo color for dual purpose...it's a great waterfowling "yak" as well!

Thanks JIM DE/Did you say 5 foot seas? The url said that model is rated for a 3 hp gas engine- can you see putting a gas engine on?

What is the model of your salt rated motor if I might ask?

Minn Kota....tidewater. The problem I see with a gas engine is turning these old bones around to pull on the starter rope while on the water! wink.gif The electric at 46lbs of thrust moves this craft along at a pretty good pace. Gey a good large deep cycle battery and it is unlikely if you launch close to your fishing grounds that you will run out of juice.

I have only once but that was a long full powered trip through a marsh to the opening of the bay and back. It died 1 mile from my truck....but you do have a paddle for return power my problem was the tide was still outgoing when I returned. The added weight and the drag of the motor in the water made that a very long mile. wink.gif ie the solar trickle charger idea was my next project.