Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Santiago II

Hudson River Stripers

5 posts in this topic

Reports are that we have some big fish being taken in the Mid-Hudson area. ScottO and I went out today to hunt for baitfish. Didn't see much of anything but the rapidly warming weather this week could mean we'll still have an early season. We should probably plan on an earlier striper fishing derby so we put people on the bulk of the run. This year it could be over by the second week in May.

I guess we should push it to the last weekend in April. Sorry for all the changes.

We'll be around every weekend for the next few weeks so even if you can't make it for the derby we can get anyone interested floating over some fish on any given weekend or Monday.

ummm....I wonder if the conversation with Scott shifted to the professional side. I'm just dying to know whether he's one of those healthcare workers that are lacking in requisite compassion and empathy.

No, ScottO's actually excessively compassionate and empathetic. That's why his patients keep coming back and fish randomly hit his lures when nobody else is catching any. I've even seen him release fish (only after pulling their fins off with pliers and sewing them back in different places... he really likes surgical procedures.)

But I'm sure he can also give you examples of those he's met who were not as concerned or compassionate.

Now that doesn't mean everyone is like that, It's just surprising how many you meet that are lacking in those characteristics. I didn't think that was a controversial or surprising statement.

Now back to fishing talk.

We did see few herring caught today, so they should be increasing exponentially in short order. We were there on an outgoing tide so that depresses the numbers too. Water was also higher than usual.

Usually the water where we collect bait is a herring and shad "soup" during the peak run, then you know the stripers are there too in big numbers. It hasn't happened yet, but looks like it will be a lot sooner thatn usual.