Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Jon-Buoy Kayak Hybrid

14 posts in this topic

Thanks Jon.

See what I mean, this thing is a blank slate just begging for customization. Notice in the fore and aft there are indentations to mount a bench seat. I was thinking of putting in benches - but as mounting platforms for FF, cleats, and rod holders rather than as seats. Does that sound like it makes sense? Removable, far enough away from the center paddling seat to be out of the way, and would still leave deck space underneath for velcro-ing stuff down or cramming water bags under.

There's a battery tie-down and even a mount for a trolling motor. The boat also has oarlock seats and ready made space for a keel for sail conversion. It's 36" wide, 11'3" long, and has 450# capacity. For seating, it will supposedly accept swivel seats, but I'm worried the CG will be too high. Would the Drifter seat work?

I nearly always fish artificials anymore. Wierd but true, I've been getting squeemish about killing all the baitfish for nothing more than my personal pursuit of pleasure the past few years, so I don't really intend to mount a bait-tank. If it means I give up some large fishies, so be it.

- Big D

True enough. For the flexibility, I give up light weight and speed. However, if I'm going alone, I've already got a maneuverable and lightweight kayak (Perception America). I'll just have to pick the right tool for the job, so to speak.

As I have gotten older I find weight becoming more of a factor.85 seems fairly heavy...................but depends on how it can be lifted/shouldered etc.

My purchases from here on will have poundage as a major consideration.I find myself taking out the lighter yak I have over the heavy canoe I own 9 outta 10 times.

What IS that thing?

Hey, before you buy it, you'd better figure how you intend to use it!

For example, there are two places for seats, which one will YOU sit in? Do you often go tandem? It looks like the REAR position, what with the motor and pilot will be sorta heavy, perhaps lifting the front? Acceleration does the same thing, will it survive a hasty launch?

Oh, silly me, you were going to sit in the front! Now you're making sense! It pays to be up front when you're under power, just to keep the air from lofting your bow. BUT, when you stop, won't you be rather "front heavy"? Admittedly, I'm an exaggeration of these two extremes, because I am extra-extra large, but the stability issues are completely valid.

Get a kayak. Paddle. Don't use a motor. You get beneficial exercize, and safer boating. Did you ever think about what you would do if your electric quit and you were a mile downwind from your launch? Oh, you CARRY a paddle? Are you accustomed to USING it?

I don't mean to be overly harsh. It's just that I love you all, and don't want to lose one of you to a predictable flaw.

AMMODYTE(@>

(The angler FORMERLY known as "Flounder").

Ammodyte -

Good comments but too late; I've already got it. However, I will take them into consideration while deciding how to customize the boat. I do intend to use the power now and again (see reason why below), but paddle most of the time. I'm also going to rig it for rowing, because it's cheap to do, is a viable secondary means of locomotion especially under heavy load, exercises different muscles, and adds a lot of boat handling ability. I expect this boat will get most of it's use in the tidal Potomac to get into creeks and such the center console boats can't reach - meaning no surf. There's a plethora of launch locations, so long distance paddling with the heavy weight isn't as much of an issue as it could otherwise be.

It's tough to see in the picture, but there's a center seat as well. That's probably where I'll spend most of my time on solo trips. I guess I'll just have to take enough gear aboard to even out the weight distribution issues. I'm 6'3", 240#. How many Rapalas do you think it will take?

Reason for power: one of my fishing partners is not physically able to paddle for extended periods, but will be able to use this 'yak under electric power and get most of the advantages of kayak-fishing (shallow displacement, stealth, etc.) while I paddle alongside in my other 'yak.

With some luck, we'll all be able to see each other on the water this season. If so, I'll let you take a turn.

Thanks for looking out for me!

- Big D

Hey Guys,

I have one of these. Or something just like it. Its an Islander Montiki . It 10',7" long and 36.5 inches wide , my specs say it weighs in at 75lbs. Made for paddling, trolling motor, sailing ,or rowing. I have it in solid white. I'll sell it to someone for $400 if they want to come get it. Im up on Lake Hopatcong in NJ.....Let me know (973)663-7990 ....tight lines Bob

What IS that thing?

Get a kayak. Paddle. Don't use a motor. You get beneficial exercize, and safer boating. Did you ever think about what you would do if your electric quit and you were a mile downwind from your launch? Oh, you CARRY a paddle? Are you accustomed to USING it?

Reply: Ooops. I didn't address this paragraph in my reply below. This IS a kayak. It's from Mainstream's sportsman series. It looks wierd on top, but if you saw the bottom hull, you'd feel right at home.

Paddling will be the primary locomotion when I'm aboard. On most trips, an electric won't even be along. With about 20 years canoe experience including providing instruction and guiding before conversion to kayaking about three years ago, I am accustomed to paddle usage and difficult paddles.

Ammodyte:

I don't mean to be overly harsh. It's just that I love you all, and don't want to lose one of you to a predictable flaw.

Big D Reply:

I welcome and value your comments. It's why I posted. Your comments were completely appropriate. I have posted elsewhere that I only took up **** last season, which is true. There was no reason for you to expect that I have any more on-water experience than that. Besides, your comments didn't seem harsh at all, and I sincerely thank you for your interest.

AMMODYTE(@>

(The angler FORMERLY known as "Flounder").

I consider it a small plastic boat.

That about sums it up.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and interest. You gave me some great ideas.

- Big D

i know this is an old thread but I have been trying to find a good FF for this kayak and this is the only mention of this yak. i will be using it in the river. i dont want to mount a transducer, so im lookin for a good portable system. what is the advantage of color over B/W? i guess my price range is $80-120. i know im not gunna get the best with that price range but i still would like somehting thats not gunna crap out after a few uses. i came across **********and ******** wanted to hear any suggestions or comments.

i use paddles and have nothing else on board(yet) or in the way.

Please refrain from posting commercial links, check out the UA you agreed to when joining the site Links in Post

I have the Mon Tiki and i really like it but i cant find any info on the maker. I have found Islander UK but they say they never made the Mon Tiki.

I want to get a sail kit for it but I have no clue what kit to get.

Can anyone please help me find a sail kit that will work on it or find contact info for the manufacture of the Mon Tiki?