Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chuck A

ANCHOR LINE

9 posts in this topic

I just about have my yak rigged and want to install an anchor and purchase a drift sock. What size line should I be using. Should these items be installed off the bow. I like to thank everyone who have responded to my many questions. You have been very helpful. I will be taking my first trip in my new yak this Friday out by the Stone Harbor bridge. Can't wait.--Chuck

Chcuk you want to put your anchorline on a pulley so you can then position it to the best spot. Usually its the stern where the anchor will be, rarely the bow. A kayak isn't a boat that fsihes best from the back. you're going to be facing forward mostly. What kind of yak do you have? As to line nothing heavy is required. 1/4" is plenty. I think that I'm using 800# test parachute cord, 50 feet with a 3.5 four pronged folding anchor.

Flounder,

The link doesn't work -- Error 404.

Chuck,

Try the seaarch function, there are several posts with information on the pully setup, some with pictures.

John

Chuck, each kayak is differnt but I simply thread 1/8" paracord through the front and rear eyelets and link the 2 together with a brass clip. I then clip either the anchorline or drift sock to the clip. Easy. Where are you located?

Follow the link that got you the error message.

Select "Home Page"

Select "Rigged Kayaks"

Select "Rigged Kayaks - page # 2"

Click the very last picture "Anchor and Drift Chute Trolley".

You will find the "Location" to be the very same one that got you the original error message, but THIS time you will have the page I wanted to send you to originally!

Sorry you had to go through so much *&@$!

Hope you find some other interesting stuff there.

By the way, my "trolley" runs from mid-ship to the rear, along the left side. That's only 25% of the boat. It's all I need!

Flounder

Chuck,

Try this:

Buy two pulleys, one in front, one in the rear. Get twice the amount of rope as the length of your yak. Buy a small steel triangle.

Attach the pulleys, run the rope through and attach the triangle at the rope ends. You should be able to run the anchor through the front or back of the boat depending on wind and water direction.

I would also purchase a cleat to set right next to you so you can secure the anchor and the loop.

I will attempt to get over to my yak and take a pic, email me if you are interested. It took about 30 mins to do with the right tools.

Hope this helps.

JTnVA

Used the pully system last week. Worked great. Insalled rod holders and bow hatch this week. Plan on installing a fishfinder before the fall run. My fish and dive is coming together thanks to all the good insight and ideas I received from all you follow yakers.