Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike D

Magged my Avet

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Placed a 1/10" thick 3/8" dia. rare earth in it. Took it outside and threw a 4 oz. sinker 100yds on a 10' Lami surf rod and barely thumbed it at all.

I'm afraid the mag is too strong. I would like to get more than 100 yds. Problem is I super glued it in. mad.gif

How do I get it out if I want a smaller magnet?

Mike,

I tap gently with a cold chisel and use goof off to clean up any glue residue. magnet is usualy trashed in the procees. Time the reel in free spool, you should shoot for 6-10 secs. hope this helps.........Jack

Mike, you may not need to change it depending on what you plan on throwing with this setup. If you add a chunk to that 4oz., you'll have 7oz. or so and that mag might be the ticket.

If you plan to toss lighter loads, a change could be needed. WARNING: be sure to wear eye protection if you attempt to remove that glued in mag. They are very brittle, and could shatter in the attempt.

Good luck.

PS: Search the archive for magging AVETS, a ton of info there.

You might be better off glueing Galvanized steel washers then you just attach magnets to it magnetically. Then its no problem to change amounts and combinations of magnets. This is for Avets:

Magnets-Avet

For MX and JX

Leevalley.com

¼ X 1/10 (.100) Magnets 99K31.01 .28

3/8 X 1/10 (.100) Magnets 99K32.03 .43

3/8 X ½ X 5/32 thick Galvanized washers .40

For Avet SX

Leevalley does not have the 1/16 (.062) magnets for the SX

¼ X 1/16 magnets - D4 .13

3/8 X 1/16 magnets - D61 .20

¼ x 3/8 x 1/16 thick Galvanized washers. (1/4) is the hole in the washer (Home depot)

The SX requires thinner magnets and washers because of spool clearance.

Get extra magnets and washers you can vary the magnets to suit, more magnets, more control, less distance. Do not use the Avet casting stop, put it in total free spool. The magnets will do it better.

Do not epoxy the magnets, epoxy the washers. Then attach the magnets to the washers. Be sure the washers are galvanized steel not stainless steel, or the magnets will not attach.

Glue Washers with Locktite Super Glue Gel (works fine ) or

JB weld, locktite epoxy or any two part epoxy

MagavetEmail.jpg

if you can find the solvent "dimethylformide" (DMF), it will dissolve super glue. Otherwise try laquer thinner (from Lowes or Homedepot), it may work too.

i removed a gold mag i placed a little high from my sx by using a new striate edge razor blade.i just laid it flat with the edge inbetween body and the mag.and pushed and rocked it right through the glue. and used the blade to shave off the excess. and then reglued it.

Shallow water, what do you mean by "i removed a gold mag i placed a little high from my sx"? I'm not calling you out....I just ordered an SX and already have the mags so I want to make sure I do this right.

Also, in another thread, people were attaching their mags via epoxy putty and such but the washer setup looks to be pretty practical. Is it just preference or are there pro's and con's?

Lastly, had anyone started with four 1/4"x1/16" mags and weaned themselve down to a lesser number of magnets?

Thanks for all the help, can you tell I'm pshyched about this setup?!

Got my Avet and tried casting today....what a nightmare! Spooled it up with 20lb trilene as backing for 50 lb powerpro. The washers I got (per Congruent's suggestion) were too thick so I tries taping 4 magnets in with duct tape just to see how it worked. It didn't! Guess I'm looking around tomorrow for some thinner washers to do it right....

Gotofish, those reels and magnet/washers sizes are right. Those reels SX, MX and JX are mine they all work. If you follow those sizes they have clearance. In particular the SX requires thinner mags and washers. On the parts list for the SX it says 1/16th washers and magnets for a total of 1/8th. A standard 1/4 Galvanized washer is 1/16th thickness (1/4) is the hole in it. Home depot carries those washers.

sorry gotofish. what i meant was the gold magnet that i used was not placed far enough on the out side edge.it was slightly higher than it is now.in the picture you can see it's now very close to the outer edge. this technique for magging is what nycman used. do a search on "magging avet" DSC00180.JPG

Congruent, I didn't mean to sound as if your technique didn't work-I thought I had gottin the wrong washers. They didn't have any other dimension aside from 1/4 at the box in HD. I just tried placing everything together again and it looks like what I have works. Thanks for the tip.

ShallowWater, why did you move the mags to the outside? More clearance? Or are they more effective out there?

Goto: when i put it back together the spool was rubbing on the magnet. even though it looked identical to what nycman had done it was to far in. and that little bit of distance made the difference.