Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mullet Miller

First Annual Susky Flats Yak Spring Fling

101 posts in this topic

Ok guys this fishing permit thing is it for the year or day ? Whats the closest spot that we can get them ?

Thanks Joev

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Not real sure about the closest, but there's got to be a couple of places in Perryville or just across the river in Havre de Grace. It is, I believe, strictly a yearly license.

Now the best place to get your license would be Herb's tackle shop in North East, MD. It's just a coupole of miles northeast of Perryville and they have the experience and tackle to outfit anybody for the flats. They are also the only place I've ever seen that sells soft plastics, especially Bass Assasins, in bulk. You pick as few or as many as you need and the prices are better than buying multi-packs in other stores. They'll have all the hot colors (I'm still an "Albino BA" devotee).

I'll try and take some time this weekend and recon the local license sopts. It may even be possible to get the relevant information from those attending and have somebody local (like, um... me?) pick them up ahead of time.

I'm starting to hear rumors of bait (herring and shad) high up the bay already. This has been one strange winter and the spring looks to be just as odd, especially with the drought and resultant high salinity levels in the upper bay.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 02-27-2002).]

I CAN"T TAKE IT ANYMORE!! After reading this develop for day upon day, I've decided to ask the boss lady if I'm allowed out to play."UHH..UMM..Honey. Would you mind if I go away for a little bit, so I can catch stripers with the other kayak guys."

I'll report back with the thrilling conclusion.

I can also help out with getting the required licsences. I'm heading to Perryville tonight for other reasons, but plan to dig up more info enroute. I hopefully will have more campgrounds and hotels to list tomorrow. Herbs is definately worth the trip for the selection of tackle and info. I am not sure but there maybe a place on the way into Perryville. Chris I'll give you a call tonite. Rumor has it that herring are down around Rock Hall. Which is not to far away. I'm getting itchy to hit the Flats.

Bob

Pls don't take this wrong, I know nothing abt fishing the flats and look forward to being schooled. But-I'm wondering if we shouldn't be doing this fling thingy sooner. Like real soon. Any idea what the water temps are? They appear from what I can find on the net to be 10 degrees above the average for this date. I may just be Jonesin' and in severe need of a tug on the line but some of those comments- "Bait up high in the Bay", "Some of 'em got lice on 'em", "Herring", "Herring", "uh, Herring".

Normal 36 degrees, from NOAA map appears to be 46 degrees, doesn't 50/52 get them really rockin' and rollin'?

Yeah, I'm mildly worried about the possibility of an early run but there are a couple of factors to keep in mind. First, in a "normal" year, the first full weekend in April is somewhat early to go, they don't really start kicking until the middle of the month. Second, while water temps have a bearing on the isuue, photoperiod is also very important, and it changes strictly by the calendar. And lastly, things don't happen overnight there, if they come a couple weeks early they should still be around when we are there.

Of course, all this discourse is moot and I'm as crazy as a loon if they come in this week and are gone by April 1. cwm12.gifcwm12.gifcwm12.gif

If it was me (wait, it is!) I'd be there pretty much from opening day on. Of course, I live 45 minutes away. smile.gif

JimW, if you're coming down, can we talk about some Atlantic white cedar?

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 02-27-2002).]

Forget Rock Hall, people are already talking about Deer Creek having whites and hickories....

Porter, I am sure you can get your license online...this link may help

http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/download/dnrf3.pdf

Save all the people traveling a little time. You need acrobat reader to use this link. I do think Herb's is well worth stopping by.

Porter, I'll email you about Sunday.

OneMoreCast, that's great, thanks. I guess we would only need the 5 day Nonres Bay sport license for 6 bucks or the season bay sport for 14.00?

Porter, email me abt wood, we can sure try. Frankly, though, I thought I was going to see you up here in the summer to put in at Stony Creek and paddle out to the Thimble Islands. I knew what you were up to when you posted that thread. wink.gif

FWIW- I saw from NOAA that avg water temps fh march are 51 and for lh march 57, it certainly fits.

Jim

Porter, how's it going? I haven't been on the board for a while. I will definatly be fishing the flats as much as possible this spring. I'll plan on being there for the fling. I'm in N. Va so it's not too bad of a drive. I think you plan on launching for the fling at the same spot you provided me with in our past e-mails. I do have one question about that launch spot, how will so many people launch from there? Where will everyone park, I only fished from there once and it was a weekday so parking was no problem. Also, will a VA saltwater license cover me or do I need to get a MD license. I'm pretty sure VA and MD are a reciprical agreement for the bay and it tribs.

I need to fish so bad, I've been trout fishing lately and I'm tired of catching little fish. If you guys would like someone else to tag along before the fling please let me know.

Thanks,

MikeC

JimW, pick your license, either will do (I think). Obviously, for some of the folks coming great distances, $6 sounds better than $14 if you won't use it again. If in doubt about the applicability of the 5-day Bay Sport license for non-resident anglers, just shoot the MD-DNR an e-mail. They are pretty prompt about responding. If getting over to the place we spoke about is a problem, don't sweat it. A trip to the Thimbles was on my mind. wink.gif

MikeC, great to hear from you again! I'm almost positive about MD-VA reciprocity but, once again, shoot the MD-DNR an e-mail if in doubt. You might also find your answer on their site. The fling is open invitation (of course!) so we would be disappointed if you didn't come. There appears to be folks coming from alot further away than you are. Also, any other time during the C&R season that you want to get together, I'm game. As stated before, I'll be there a lot.

The launch spot we have selected (MikeC - yep, that's the one) is somewhat tight. Both Bob and I have scoured the area looking for good launch sites over the past couple of years and they are few and far between. In addition to general good location (not too far from 95, central to some of the "better" parts of the flats, etc..), the place we've chosen is in a nice quiet park. The beach itself is small and probably limited to 2-4 boats at a time, but people can unload, park 50 yards away on the grass, rig at the top of the hill, then we all tandem carry the boats down for the mass launch. All it requires is a little cooperation and coordination, something this crowd can no doubt handle. Bob or I will try and shoot some pictures of it for y'all to see.

Chris

Chris, thanks for the info. The one time I fished there I just parked on the side of the road. I didn't see another car the entire time. I didn't know you could park in the field. Sounds good to me. I'll see you soon!

MikeC

Ok, just got back from my little jaunt to Perryville. Looks like the best choices for camping are going to be Elk Neck SP or Riverview. The other campgrounds I know of are seasonal only. Riverview looked very well upkept, nice open sites with a great view of the river (ya think!) It also is very close to the park in Perryville.

I picked up some info from a couple local eateries and will post that tomorrow after having time to look it over better. So we will need to get a definite head count by the middle of March. Both places are in Havre de Grace, with great views of the water. Only draw back is the toll Bridge coming back, they raised the toll to match the Interstate to catch toll dodgers.

I'll try and get back down this weekend and get some shots of the launch area.

Bob