Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfacetension

Help with Drum fishing

7 posts in this topic

I caught red drum from the yak over T-giving in Nags Head, NC. I fished the outer southern pillings of the Oregon Inlet bridge on a nice day. The drum seemed to turn on when the water was very clear and a hard running tide. I useed 1oz jigs with bass assassins tiped with a small piece of shrimp. Just let the lure drag on the bottem right by a pilling and bam fish on. I caught 30 0r 40 fish that day in about two hours, then the wind kicked up the water got dirty and the fish stopped biting.

Hope this is what you were looking for,

MikeC

Thanks , I was hoping to be able to go in the spring somewhere around the Sandy Hook NJ area but thanks for the heads up on the bait, how big of a rod and reel do you need? and how big are these fish?

[This message has been edited by surfacetension (edited 01-25-2002).]

SF... drum are very rare up our way so targeting them would be fruitless. Delaware Bay is considered the north end of their range.

At the Show yesterday I attended a seminar on Pt. Lookout, NC. The Drum are happening right now inside there and it is very yakable. I got to know one of the guides through Tidewater, who's tying at the show and will be at the Pt. Lookouts booth tying manana.

Can you name them?

I spoke woth Ken Abrames about our situation in the Meadowlands that day. His suggestion was to always have a drift net to capture some bait to see what the bait is. It could have been almost anything.