Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

JPL.....How was #2 weekend with your Mokai?

6 posts in this topic

thanks Jim, what a ride!! You definitely need a spray skirt but this craft can handle 5 foot seas easily. Still didn't get out as lond I would have liked (son's birthday and a wedding in NJ/all Sat.) but Sunday I got 23 porgies and 5 fluke (to 20"). All the porgies were caught on fluke rigs.

I still can't negotiate the sheer magnitude of inquires about this craft. This adds appreciably to the launch and landing. I really don't mind that much (especially if they are dock bunnies) but you end up talking a lot about it...I've met more people in two WE's than I ever have since I've been out in EH (13 years)!!

and here's a story you just can't make up: the East Hampton Marine Patrol stops me out on Gardiner's Bay and they are, shall we say, very strict about safety, blah, blah... I guess their vessel is about 32' or so and they are definitely hailing me over to them. All I see is the constable (who I recognize), shaking his head as I motor over. I'm thinking "they are going to try to put me through the wringer" and "do I have all of my documentation, flares, extinguisher, etc." I'm really breaking a sweat. I finally get within earshot range and he's still shaking his head!! I figure he's going to tow me, impound me...or something...

He finally utters "I've never seen a kayak with a wake behind it!! I just wanted your to come over so that I could see it...I hope you don't mind". Then he has his 20 questions and how can HE get in touch with Mokai as he is definitely interested in getting one for his family! He didn't even ask me about equipment code or registration!!

Gardiner's Bay porgies, btw, are monsters. Mine were averaging 11-12". NY just opened porgy season and the limit is 10".

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

Joe: in the middle of the bay, west side of Gardiner's, the wind was at 15-20 knots about 2pm sunday. Not great for fishing at all (I retreated to the lee side/Accobonac Harbor to fish -1-2 footers) and not very agile negotiating the waves at an angle under power. But I was surprised at how stable it is. It races down the back side of waves and the caps swamp the bow, but the spray skirt work extremely well.

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

[This message has been edited by JPL (edited 07-08-2002).]

JPL, I know the feeling about the inquiry's. Keypoint: Get to the backwaters....no one there but you, your Mokai and the fish! wink.gif

No need to sweat....you had all the safety devices tucked neetly on both sides of your seat.

It will take a lick'n and keep on tick'n in the rough stuff. But, as I am sure you found out what sticks out of the spray skirt will get wet wink.gif The first few times in rougher water does have one checking their sanity meter but once you realize this Mokai will handle the water the only thing left is piloting it to calmer waters.

If I had one wish it would be for about 1000 more rpms. This way loaded the bow would get up higher and not nose into the oncoming waves. Then you could shoot the waves and get to calmer water at a much quicker rate.