Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmdriscoll

Anybody own a Mad River Explorer Canoe?

6 posts in this topic

Hello, anybody out there own a mad river explorer canoe? Done any open water fishing from it? How do you like these boats? I have been looking at them and those seem like the most versatile, but would like to hear others opinions on the subject.

Mike

Hi , what are your plans to do with it??? going to the ocean and after stripers and blues for the day or 3 back country trips? I, as did probably a large number of yakkers, came from canoing in the mid to late 90's. whole different, and improved in many ways, world. Let us know what you want to do and maybe we can comment a bit more. I had a trusty old town 126??? about 72 pounds. Beat the snot out of it. Came back for more. But too many draw backs for me to continue using it. Scott

I've got a Mad River Duckhunter--Explorer hull with an extra thwart. I just posted on the main board in a thread about fishing from a canoe in open saltwater. I'm against it. The Explorer hull has a lot of secondary stability, but the bow and stern are high off the water, and while it tracks well in a river, there isn't enough keel to keep you from being blown around if it's blowing ten or more (which it almost always is where I fish in Massachusetts). I tried for a couple of years in bays and harbors and finally went to a Wilderness Systems Pungo kayak. Love fishing rivers and ponds with that Mad River canoe, but wherever there's any long fetch for the wind to build up, the business of boat handling, tackle management, and casting, never mind fighting and landing fish, is, I think, asking too much of any canoe most of the time, and especially solo.

I had a Mad River Explorer a few years back. I bought it thinking it would be good for solo fishing. The salesman at the shop even told me that it would be perfect for that.WRONG!!! I found out the hard way that it was too hard to handle solo when a breeze kicked up. Now, I'm a fairly big guy and can put a fair amount of power into a paddle, but when a spindly little lady in a kayak easily passed me on that windy day...that was all I needed to dump the canoe.Get a good sit on top kayak. It's much safer, and you'll actually be able to make headway in a breeze.

Valentine

I was looking at one but went with an Old Town Camper instead. I'm not 100% sure but the specs (length & width) are pretty similar. The main difference is the weight. My OT is 58lbs and easy to transport solo, I think the Mad River is over 70lbs in kevlar & 80lbs in the "other" material. I did 1/2+ mile portage with no problem. Had my wife and 2 kids (3 & 5 yrs old) in it with no problems as well. I use it on lakes in central NJ and wilderness trips in the adirondacks. Paddling and fishing solo has been no problem. I sit in the "front" seat which helps with the weight distribution. You still have those kayaks for sale? Hope this helps.

You may want to do a search for paddling related sites. There is a very good one out there IMO called ******* that has reviews on all different canoes & kayaks from the owners of the boats (not the manufacturers).